Accelerated staging server setup for upgrades with overlays
Accelerated staging server method is also referred to as DB only upgrade. When upgrading using accelerated staging server, you only need to create a copy of the production server database in the staging environment. The AR System server installation then must be done on the staging server against the copy of the production server database.
You can use this method only if you are upgrading all of the products installed on your server, or if you do not have BMC Service Impact Manager, Integration for BMC Remedy Service Desk, or BMC ProactiveNet Performance Management installed on your production system.
To set up the accelerated staging sever for upgrade with overlays
The following diagram and the steps explain how you can set up an accelerated staging server.
- Take a backup of the production database.
- Restore the production database copy on the staging database. See, Duplicating the production server database backup for upgrades with overlays.
- Review the restrictions after restoring the database on the staging server with overlays. See, Restrictions after restoring the database on the staging server with overlays.
- Upgrade the AR System server. You must run the installer in Install mode such that, the AR System server is upgraded and not installed fresh.
To ensure that the AR System server is upgraded and is not installed fresh, Database Name, Database User, and Database Password must be same as the production server.
Database Host Name, and Database Port must point to the new database i.e. staging database.
- Proceed with next stages.