Working on activities
This section describes the procedure to start working on activities defined for a release.
To work on activities
- Log in to the Release Management console.
- Select the activity from the Change Requests and Activities table.
- Click View. On the activity form, enter information in each of the tabs described in the following steps to move the activity forward.
- Click the Assignment tab to review the assignment. If necessary, you can reassign the activity.
For more information, see Accepting activity assignments.
- Click the Work Info tab to enter work information about the activity.
You can track the activity's progress by recording the steps you took to implement it in the work history or attach a detailed Training Plan. For more information, see Entering activity work information.
- Click the Tasks tab to add tasks to the activity.
Tasks allow you to provide more granularity to the Activity if needed. You can assign specific tasks to specific task implementers. For example, if there are multiple people that need to train users in multiple locations, you can want to assign work to them using tasks.
You can create activities with related tasks at each release milestone. Tasks have their own independent lifecycle and continue on their own path. You might decide to complete the training materials tasks during the Planning milestone, but complete training tasks during Deployment.
For more information, see Creating activity task groups and tasks.
- Click the Financials tab to add budget and actual costs of the activity.
As you work the activities, you can add the costs associated to each activity in each activity record that is part of the Release Request. The release activity can be in any status except Closed or Completed.
For more information, see Planning financial information for activities.
- Click the Dates tab to add start and end dates. When you start working on an activity, you should enter the Scheduled Start Date and Scheduled End Date. For more information, see Planning activity dates.
- If there is no need to update information, move the status to In Progress and save your work.
- If you need to temporarily stop work on the activity, you can move the activity to the Pending status.
- If you must cancel the activity, you can move it to the Cancelled status. This is a terminal status for the activity. All open tasks are marked as Closed.