Setting language options and translation
Language options are configured in the Language Translation section of the Virtual Chat Administration Console. For information about the language translation architecture, see Language information.
The following video demonstrates the steps to use language translation feature of BMC Virtual Chat 9.1.01:
Before you begin
To use Google translation services for automatic language translation, you must purchase a translation API key. In earlier versions, Google translation services were free.
To set language options
- From the IT Home page, select Virtual Chat > Administration Console.
- Under General Settings, click Language Translation.
The Language Settings pane appears.
- Set the following options:
- Automatic Language Translation: Select whether to turn on automatic language translation. By default, this option is Off. If this setting is on, the self-service user will see a Settings link and can set his or her language. Automatic translation is used only to translate the content of the chat session. Regardless of the settings for automatic language translation, the user interface (including system messages) is displayed in the first language that is configured in the browser and for which BMC Virtual Chat is localized (or English, if BMC Virtual Chat is not localized into any of the languages configured in the browser).
- Production: This flag controls which languages users can select on the Settings screen for automatic translation, as follows:
- Checkbox is clear - For automatic translation, the user can select any language that is available from Google Translate. User interface (including system message) localization is based on the browser setting (or English, if BMC Virtual Chat is not localized into that language). So, for example, an Algerian who speaks only Arabic and French (with preference for Arabic), could select automatic translation to/from Arabic and have a browser locale of French to get user interface and system messages in French.
- Checkbox is selected - For automatic translation, the user can select from any of the languages set in his browser settings. If the user has multiple languages set in the browser, he can select any of them for automatic translation.
Automatic language translation is applicable only for the Self Service Portal. For example if the self-service users sets his browser to Spanish, all buttons and other user interface elements are displayed in Spanish.
Language Server Address: Type the URL of the server that hosts the Chat Translation Servlet (CTS). Replacewith the BMC Remedy Mid Tier server. If multiple Mid Tier servers are behind a Load Balancer, specify the Load Balancer.
Example:In version 9.1.00
Example:In version 9.1.01
- Google API Translation Key: The required key (purchased from Google) to use for translation services.
- Google API URL: The Google URL used for translation. This URL points to the Google translation key and is coded as follows:
https://www.googleapis.com/language/translate/v2?appId=[KEY]&from=[FROM]&to=[TO]&text=[TEXT]If you are using Google Translate, do not change this value..
- Supported Languages: Define the languages supported by the chat application. You can create, modify, or delete languages by clicking the corresponding buttons to the right of the language list. These are the languages available for the self-service user to select, if you have enabled automatic language translation.
- Save the changes, as follows:
- Click OK to save the changes and close the console.
Click Apply to save the changes and keep the console open.