Defining target data from custom applications
BMC Service Request Management obtains data from user input to questions or target data from configurations. The data is then passed to the fulfillment application. However, all applications do not process this data in the same way.
By default, Service Request Management provides target data for work orders. For the Change Management and Incident Management applications, the data is provided with the integration installer.
If you do not want to define target data for a third-party application to work with Service Request Management, skip to Creating application templates and application object templates.
Watch the following video for an overview of how to configure target data fields in Service Request Management:
To define application target data
- In the Application Administration Console, click the Custom Configuration tab.
- From the Application Settings list, select Service Request Management > Application Configuration > Define Application Target Data, and click Open.
In the Application Target Data form, enter information in the following required fields:
Select Active if you want this data to be visible.
The registered application to which the answer is pushed. This is the value you specified for the Registry Name field on the Application Registry form.
Field For Answer
The field that will store the data. This is a field that you registered in Registering custom applications for integration for question field mapping.
Enter information in the following optional fields:
Administrators can include descriptive text about the field.
The field ID of the field that stores the answer.
This field is auto-populated with the field ID of the field selected in Field For Answer.
Lets you define the length on the fulfillment application.
Before passing a value to the Custom Automation Interface (CAI), Service Request Management trucates any value that is longer than the specified Field Length. For the truncated values, the service request contains a worklog with the following information:
- Field name
Not all the fields in the Work Order application, nor any of the fields in the BMC Change Management or BMC Incident Management applications, are defined with Field Length settings out of the box. If you are passing data from BMC Service Request Management to a fulfillment application, make sure you set the proper field length values.
Choose any of the following options for the answer field to hold, if a user does not answer the question, if the question is not visible to users, or just as a placeholder:
- Default/User Entry — A default value is stored in the field. If you select this option, enter a default value in the Prepopulate Value field. If you select the Default/User entry mode, any value defined here is not used in the Request Entry console.
- Predefined — A predefined value is stored in the field. If you select this option, enter a predefined value in the Prepopulate Value field. If you select the predefined populate mode, the value defined here is used in the Request Entry console.
- System Generated — A system generated value is stored in the field (for example, from the workflow). If you select this option, the Prepopulate Value field is dimmed. The answer is generated by the fulfillment request.
Prepopulate Value Type
Select the type of menu that will be attached to the Prepopulate Value field. The options are:
- Keyword — A menu list containing AR System keywords appears next to the Prepopulate Value field.
- BMC Service Request Management fields — A menu list containing fields from registered BMC Service Request Management application forms appears next to the Prepopulate Value field. The menu list values come from the SYS:Form Field Selection form, when the Selection Type is set to BMC Service Request Management Field Mapping.
- None — Users will enter a value in the Prepopulate Value field.
Select or enter the prepopulated value if you selected default or predefined for Prepopulate Mode. The menu attached to the Prepopulate Value field also depends on your selection for the Prepopulate Value Type field.
Prepopulate Value Field ID
When you select the following options:
- Prepopulate mode of Default/User Entry or Predefined
- SRM fields prepopulate value type
the Field ID is automatically entered after you select a prepopulate value.
Required By Application
Specify whether this field is required or optional. If this field is required, a user must supply an answer for the question when submitting a service request. The default setting is No.
Abbreviation for zero-length character field. If you specify Yes, you allow the character field to be of unlimited length for users to add input.
Specify the mode to handle the target data in the Registered Application. Currently, only the Pull mode is supported,
- Pull — Pulls the task data from the registered application for use by the data input definitions.
- Push — Pushes the task data to the registered application.
- Get — Retrieves the task data from the registered application. The default setting is Pull.
Exposed To Template
Specify whether to expose the target data when you associate it to AOTs. The default setting is Yes.
- Click Save.