Creating a knowledge article
By default, users of the ServiceDesk Staff and ServiceDesk Change Manager profiles can create a knowledge article. System administrators can grant permissions on knowledge articles to the required profiles.
The following types of knowledge articles are supported:
- How To
- Known Error
- Problem Solution
BMC Remedyforce does not support custom knowledge article types.
The following topics are provided:
To create a knowledge article
- Click the Knowledge Articles tab.
- (Optional) If you do not see the Knowledge Articles tab, perform the following steps:
- Click All Tabs .
- Click Customize My Tabs.
- In the Available Tabs list, select Knowledge Articles and click the right arrow.
- Click Save.
- On the Knowledge Articles Home page, click New.
From the Record Type of new record list, select the appropriate type of article.
Based on the record type that you select, the fields that are displayed in Article Details section vary. The fields displayed for different options in the Article Details section are:
Article Type Fields updated FAQ
- Root Cause
- Click Next.
The user who has logged on to Salesforce is the owner of the article.
- In the Article Information section, click the Category lookup.
- Double-click the required category.
- To search for a category, enter keywords in the Search text box and click Go.
- From the Status list, select the appropriate status of the article.
The available status values are Draft, In Review, Published, and Retired. By default, all articles are assigned the Draft status.
- To enable the article to be searched for and displayed in Self Service, select the Display in Self Service check box.
- In the Article Details section, in the Title text box, enter the article title.
- In the Keywords text box, enter the keywords that can be used to search the article.
- In the Article Details section, enter appropriate values in the remaining fields.
You can click to add links to third-party information in the Question, Answer, Error, Root Cause, Problem, Solution, or Workaround fields. For example, link to a video on a third-party website that displays troubleshooting of a hardware device.
- In the Additional Information section, in the Review Date field, enter the date when you want to review the article for its validity.
Contact your system administrator to add a time-based trigger to the Notify Author that Article is due for reviewworkflow to send an email reminder to you, one month before the review date stating that the article is due for review. For more information, see Creating time triggers.
- Click Save.
To embed a direct link to the knowledge article, use the link in the Self Service Link field. This field is populated automatically only after you save the knowledge article.
You can embed this link on your intranet site or send it by using an email message to provide direct access to the required knowledge article. If the Self Service Link field is not available on the Knowledge Article form, contact your system administrator.
You can use the link in Self Service Link field only if you are using Self Service 2.0.
For more information, see Providing direct links for Self Service components.
- Perform the following actions to configure the accounts to which you want to display the knowledge article in Self Service 2.0:
By default, the knowledge article is displayed to all accounts.
- In the Account Details section, click Edit.
In the Display Knowledge Articles to Account pop-up window:
Option Description All Accounts Displays the knowledge article to all account Selected Accounts Display the knowledge article to selected accounts
In the Available Accounts list, select the required accounts and click the right arrow key to move them to the Selected Accounts list.
You can link a maximum of 100 accounts to a knowledge article.
- (Optional) To remove the accounts for which you do not want to display the knowledge article, select the accounts in the Selected Accounts list and click the left arrow to move them from the Selected Accounts list to the Available Accounts list.
- Click Apply.
- To attach a file with a knowledge article, on the Knowledge Article page, in the Notes & Attachments section, click Attach File.
- To select the file that you want to upload, click Browse.
- Click Attach File.
- To upload more than one attachment, repeat step 19 to step 20.
When you have finished uploading documents, click Done.
When you localize a knowledge article, do not localize the URL.
To submit a knowledge article for approval
To send an article for technical or editorial review, you must submit the article for approval. The system administrator must create an approval process in Salesforce to define the workflow of the article review process.
- Click the Knowledge Articles tab.
- In the Article ID column, click the ID of the knowledge article that you want to submit for approval.
- Click Submit for Approval.