Setting up ticket creation from Live Chat
As an administrator, you can configure Live Chat to create tickets automatically when a chat is assigned to a support agent and the agent clicks the chat window for the first time. Agents can also create tickets manually from a chat session.
How default ticket configuration works
The default ticket creation behavior is as follows:
- Incident creation option is shown in the agent console. Work order creation option is shown if you enable work order creation in BMC Helix ITSM: Smart IT.
- A default template is not set.
- Ticket is created without bringing up the draft ticket screen.
- If ticket creation fails, the draft ticket screen opens in a new tab.
Ticket creation settings
You must have Smart IT version 21.02 or later to configure the ticket creation settings.
You can configure the following ticket creation settings:
Before you begin
- Ensure that you have specified the application URL of BMC Helix ITSM: Smart IT for Live Chat to identify the application for which you want to set up ticket creation.
- If you want to specify the default or dynamic template, make sure that you have the AR System administrator, Incident Config, and Workorder Config permissions to procure the template ID from the HPD:Templates form and WOI:Template form.
To configure ticket creation settings
- As an administrator, log in to the IT Home page and navigate to Virtual Chat Administrator Console.
- Select Self Service Portal > Configuration.
- From the list of entries, select Interfaces - Core Chat Services and click Modify.
- If an overlay is not created, click Create Overlay or click Open Overlay.
In the Configuration section, type the following code:Ticket creation tags
<interface> <code>iccs</code> <name>Interfaces - Core Chat Services</name> <company>Global</company> <version>200713-1300</version> <list> <smartit> <ticketConfig> <autoCreate></autoCreate> <autoCreateDefaultTicket></autoCreateDefaultTicket> <ticket> <type></type> <hideCreateOption></hideCreateOption> <defaultTemplateId></defaultTemplateId> <openDraftModeByDefault></openDraftModeByDefault> </ticket> </list> </interface>
Specify the tag values.
The following table describes the tags and their example values to configure ticket creation:
Tag Description Values
Identifier for the Interfaces - Core Chat Services form entry. Default value—iccs
Specifies the company for which the ticket configuration applies. The company name must match with the name for which this entry is created.
- Global—If you want to apply the settings to all companies in the tenancy.
- company name—If you want to apply the settings to a specific company.
You must enclose any application-specific configuration in this tag. Not applicable
Specifies whether you want to enable or disable automatic ticket creation.
- true—Enable automatic ticket creation
- false—Disable automatic ticket creation
(To automatically create tickets in )
If you have enabled automatic ticket creation, specifies the ticket type that you want to create automatically.
Important: You can create only one type of ticket automatically.
- incident—Create an incident automatically
- workorder—Create a work order automatically
Specifies the ticket type for which you want to configure the <hideCreateOption>, <defaultTemplateId>, and <openDraftModeByDefault> settings
- incident—applies to the HPD:Help Desk form
- workorder—applies to the WOI:WorkOrder form
Specifies whether you want to hide the following actions related to the selected ticket type:
- Create ticket option for the selected ticket type.
- Templates for the selected ticket type.
- Associate chat session with the selected ticket type.
For example, if you select incident, the create incident option, incident templates, and the option to associate a chat session with an incident is hidden.
- true—Hide the create ticket option for the ticket type specified in <type>.
- false—Show the create ticket option for the ticket type specified in <type>.
Specifies the template ID of the template that you want to use to create a ticket—automatically or manually.
If the template ID is not set, the system attempts to create a ticket without a template. If it fails, a draft window is opened in a new tab.
- If an agent manually selects a template, the selection overrides this setting.
- If you enable automatic ticket creation, to avoid errors, ensure that the default template is of the same ticket type that you selected in the <autoCreateDefaultTicket> tag.
Alphanumeric template ID that you procured earlier.
Specifies whether you want to display the draft ticket screen instead of quick create mode.
Tip: Set the value of this tag to true and the value of the <autoCreate> tag to false if you want to disable automatic ticket creation and want to display the draft ticket screen.
- true—Display draft ticket screen and hide quick create mode
- false—Display quick create mode and hide draft ticket screen
Specifies whether you want to display the ticket window after a chat session is closed.
Tip: Set this value to true if you want agent to perform the following tasks after opening the ticket window:
- Perform some follow-up tasks on the ticket immediately, without having to search for the ticket from the monitoring console.
- Fill out the missing mandatory fields before closing a ticket.
- Review the ticket information before working on the next chat session.
- true—Display the ticket window
- false—Do not display the ticket window
To apply the changes, click Refresh servlets.
The following image shows how automatic creation of incidents is enabled for a company:
To configure dynamic template selection
The dynamic template can be used only when auto creation of ticket is enabled. If the dynamic ticket template is configured, it takes precedence over default template setting. To configure the dynamic template selection, you configure a custom workflow by using filters in Developer Studio.
- As an AR System administrator, open Developer Studio in the Best Practice Customization mode.
- From the AR System navigator, select All Objects > Filters.
- Create a new filter.
For example, if you want to configure dynamic ticket selection based on the chat topic Unix, create ES_SampleMCR_SetTemplateForTopic_Unix.
- In Associated Forms, select ES_Chat:MasterChatRecord.
In Execution Options, do not change the default order of 500.
- In Run If Qualification, specify the qualification for the topic.
For example, 'Topic'='Unix'
- In If Actions > Set Fields, set the following fields:
- AutoCreateTicketType—Select one of the following ticket types:
- AutoCreateTemplateID—Enter the GUID of the template that you want to use.
- AutoCreateTicketType—Select one of the following ticket types:
You can create filters for other criteria for dynamic template selection such as support queues, or keyword.
Examples of defining filters for dynamic ticket creation
You can define filters to select the ticket template based on information in the chat, such as the chat topic, the agent's support queue, or a keyword.
- Filter to select template based on the chat topic "Unix"
- Filter to select template based on the agent's support queue: "Database"
- Filter to select template based on the keyword "Password"
Refer the following section for common issues that you might encounter when creating tickets from live chat:
An error is generated when automatically creating a ticket with a template
- Ensure that the template ID is valid. If the template ID is invalid, the following error is generated:
An error has occurred during operation, please try again later or contact your administratoris displayed to the agent and ticket is not created.
- If a default template is not set, then the system tries to create a ticket without template. If it fails, a draft ticket creation window is opened in a new tab.
Unable to create a type of ticket
Ensure that the following tags and their values are included in the Interfaces - Core Chat Services entry:
<applicationName - smartit or bwf> <ticketConfig> <autoCreate></autoCreate> <autoCreateDefaultTicket></autoCreateDefaultTicket> <ticket> <type></type> <hideCreateOption></hideCreateOption> <defaultTemplateId></defaultTemplateId> <openDraftModeByDefault></openDraftModeByDefault> </ticket>
The ticket configuration settings are not applied at runtime
If any of the following conditions are true in the Interfaces - Core Chat Services entry, the ticket configuration settings are not applied, and the application reverts to the default behavior.
- Tags are missing, are misspelt, or have invalid values.
- Entries are not found for
- Entries are not found for the
The dynamic ticket selection does not work as per the configuration
Consider the following scenarios when dynamic ticket selection might not work:
- If the ticket type in the filter is incorrect, that is the ticket template is for incident but the corresponding ticket type is specified as work order, Live Chat will use the default ticket type and template. If the default values are not defined, ticket is not created.
- If the ticket type is correct, but the template ID is incorrect, an error is displayed and the ticket is not created.
Perform the following steps to verify the ticket type and ticket template used for automatic ticket creation by viewing the field values in Master Chat Record:
- As an administrator, open the Master Chat Record.
- Check the values in the following fields:
- End user ticket type
- End user ticket ID
- Auto Create Ticket Type
- Auto Create Template ID
The following image shows the fields with sample values: