BMC Helix Innovation Suite overview
BMC Helix Innovation Suite is a powerful, industry-leading service management platform that fuels your IT transformation with intelligent, people-centric user experiences that helps you work smarter.
BMC Helix Innovation Suite is delivered as part of the BMC Helix ITSM solution in the cloud or as a hybrid or on-premises solution.
BMC Helix Innovation Suite consolidates the capabilities of Action Request System and BMC Helix Innovation Studio. This single-tenant environment leverages modern architecture and artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning (ML) technologies.
The following infographic shows a high-level overview of BMC Helix Service Management with the BMC Helix Innovation Suite platform:
Advantages of BMC Helix Innovation Suite
- Foundation data is common to all applications, BMC Helix ITSM applications and BMC Helix Innovation Studio. BMC Helix Innovation Studio applications can directly use common Foundation data without the Foundation sync utility. For more information, see .
- The BMC Helix Innovation Suite uses a common database for AR System, BMC Helix Innovation Studio, and BMC Digital Workplace.
- BMC Helix Innovation Suite offers interoperability between AR System and BMC Helix Innovation Studio. For example, you can call a process, defined by using Innovation Studio in AR System with a filter written by using Developer Studio.
For more information, see How to automate notification for issue assignment on BMC Helix Innovation Suite.
- Artificial intelligence (AI) powered services such as BMC Helix Virtual Agent are available for the on-premises users.
The following video (3.25) provides an overview of BMC Helix Innovation Suite and its key capabilities:
BMC Helix Innovation Suite roles
BMC Helix Innovation Suite includes the following roles:
BMC Helix Innovation Suite business value
BMC Helix Innovation Suite provides a framework for non-programmers to leverage modern architectural and AI/ML technologies, and helps develop, build, deploy, and use applications on cloud (SaaS) and on-premises. You can align to ITIL best practices quickly and cost-effectively along with expert services.
The following table describes how you can use the BMC Helix Innovation Suite to address your business needs.
|Automate many business processes without learning a programming language or using complex development tools.
|Create codeless applications in a few clicks with minimal dependency on developers or development environment, and to promote codeless applications from a development to test or production environments.
|Automate the manual tasks, such as data categorization and task assignment, by using machine learning in their applications.
|Build an application with the the chatbot framework.
|Create interactive dashboards for Service Management applications.
|Create interactive dashboards for your applications by using BMC Helix Dashboards
|Integrate third-party products
|Calling third-party REST APIs in an application
|Use email to to perform queries, submissions, or modifications to entries
|Using Email Engine to enable email driven business processes
|Drive approval for a business process
|Using Approval Server to automate the approval-driven business processes
Interoperability on BMC Helix Innovation Suite
With BMC Helix Innovation Suite, an administrator or application business analyst can interoperate between AR System and BMC Helix Innovation Studio . This capability helps simplify application development.
The following diagram shows the interoperability between AR System and BMC Helix Innovation Studio on BMC Helix Innovation Suite:
- You can build an application that uses a filter developed in Developer Studio to trigger a process designed in BMC Helix Innovation Studio.
- You can build an application that leverages data from AR System forms, including BMC Helix ITSM application form data and Foundation data.
- You can embed a progressive view in a BMC Helix Innovation Studio application.
For more information, see Altering a notification process on BMC Helix Innovation Suite.
Common Foundation data for BMC Helix ITSM applications and BMC Helix Innovation Studio applications
As an administrator, you can use a common shared Foundation data structure of Person, Organization, Location, Categorization, and Geography for multiple applications such as BMC Helix Business Workflows and BMC Helix Virtual Agent built on BMC Helix Innovation Studio along with current applications.
The common unified Foundation data provides the following benefits:
- A single data source for all the applications on the BMC Helix Innovation Suite.
BMC Helix Innovation Studioapplications can directly use common Foundation data without the Foundation sync utility.
- No need to normalize data between applications.
For more information, see Setting up and modifying Foundation data by using Application Administration Console.
This documentation helps new and experienced users implement or use BMC Helix Innovation Suite. Based on your requirement, the following sections of the documentation are recommended:
A number of channels are available through which the developer community can get support.
- You can log on to to get support from other developers by using . Experts from BMC can help you out with your queries.
- You can look at to collaborate with like-minded developers. You can co-create, innovate, and create applications.
If you are a developer, you can review the Comparison between Developer Studio and BMC Helix Innovation Studio capabilities constructs.
Within BMC Helix Innovation Studio, you can use tool-tips to get in-place assistance for populating fields, or you can use the guided tours created for key use cases by using the Self-help widget.
The following video (2:47) provides an overview of accessing the self-help within BMC Helix Innovation Studio:
Recommended skills set
For an administrator
An administrator can create codeless applications with minimal programming knowledge.
For a developer
The following video gives you information on developing applications:
For a developer to be able to work smoothly with BMC Helix Innovation Studio and codes, the following skills set is recommended.
- Server side application development
- (required) Oracle University Java SE 8 Fundamentals (required)
- (recommended) Oracle University Java SE 8 Programming
- Read Building RESTful Web Services with JAX-RS tutorial
- Client side application development
- (required) Read online tutorial of JSON
Before you start creating applications, BMC recommends the following trainings: