Designing a workflow to send notification
Catalog administrators might need to create workflows to send notifications to defined recipients. They can use any of the following actions to send notifications:
- Send In App Notification—To display a notification on the dashboard of a BMC Helix Digital Workplace Catalog administrator.
- Send Email—To send an email to any email address.
- Send Rich Text Email—To send an email with rich text formatting in the email body to any email address.
- Send Email Message—To send an email to one or more users. For more information, see Configuring processes to send notifications to users .
Sending in app notifications
You can insert the Send In App Notification element anywhere in a workflow, and specify the following input parameters:
Receiver—User who receives the notification.
- Title—Summary of the notification.
- Content—Content of the notification.
The following workflow shows an example of how the Send In App Notification action can be used.
In this example, hannah_admin is the login ID of the user who receives a notification when an external BMC Helix ITSM system executes the Get Entry by Query action.
The notification sent to hannah_admin includes the following details specified in the Send In App Notification action:
- Get Entry By Query title—Specified in the Title field.
- The JSON output generated from the Get Entry by Query—Specified in the Content field.
You must have SMTP enabled on the BMC Helix Digital Workplace Catalog server before you can use the Send Email action in your workflows. For details about how to enable SMTP, see Configuring SMTP for BMC Digital Workplace Catalog.
Receiver—Email address of a user who receives the email.
You can specify only one email address at a time. To send notifications to multiple users, use a multi-instance loop with a comma-separated list of email addresses. Alternatively, you can use your email client to create a distribution list. For more information, see Processing data sequentially and in parallel.
- Title—Subject of the email.
- Content—Body of the email.
To create a new line in the email, use a New Line variable or a
("TEXT FROM THE FIRST LINE<br>TEXT FROM THE SECOND LINE")function. For a Service Broker Context variable, use two
The following workflow shows an example of how a Send Email action can be used.
Sending rich text emails
You can insert the Send Rich Text Email element anywhere in a workflow, and specify the following input parameters:
Receiver—User who receives the email with rich text formatting.
- Title—Summary of the email.
- Content—Email body with rich text formatting.
In the email body, you can customize the content with the options listed on the Enhanced catalog page.
The following workflow shows an example of how the Send Rich Text Email action can be used.
Log in or register to comment.