Configuring an output map for an activity and using it in multiple activities
As a catalog administrator or internal service supplier, you might need to reference an output expression from one activity and use it in other activities in a workflow.
Before you begin
If you have not already done so, create a workflow. For more information, see Designing a simple workflow.
Create a local variable, and add it to the process variables in your workflow. For more information, see Adding local variables to a workflow.
To configure an output map for an activity
- Open the workflow that you want to edit.
- Select the activity element to which you want to assign the local variable.
In the example used in this procedure, select the Create Incident activity.
- Expand the Output map parameters section, and click Add.
- In the Source field, enter an expression that will use output from any activity.
For example, enter the expression for the Create Incident activity. For details about how to build an output expression, see Using responses from a connected system in your workflow.
- From the Name list, select the local variable that you want to associate with the output from your activity.
To pass an output expression from one activity to another activity in a workflow
After you create a local variable, you can use it in other activities in your workflow in the same way you use output variables.
Compare the following approaches for passing an output expression from one activity to another:
- The Content parameter of the Send Email to requester notification in the example is configured to use output from the Create Incident activity.
- The Content parameter of the Send Email to OBO user notification in the example is configured to use a local variable from the Create Incident activity.
In both cases, the email recipients will receive notifications with the same text. However, since you are expecting the same expression in both activities, you should configure a local variable, map it to an output expression of an activity, and use it throughout a workflow as required.
Log in or register to comment.