You can monitor the Presentation Server environment, so that you are alerted when a service becomes unavailable.
Alerts are generated in the form of automated email or events, or both.
The monitored services include:
- The BMC Atrium Single Sign-On server
- The database (PostgreSQL) service
- The index (Elasticsearch) server
- Components registered with the Presentation Server
Self-monitoring email alerts
The monitored services are checked every 10 seconds for availability and an email is generated after five unsuccessful retries.
By default, self-monitoring email alerts are not configured. You can configure self-monitoring email from the command line.
To configure self-monitoring email alerts
- From a command prompt, go to the <Presentation Server installation directory>\TrueSightPServer\truesightpserver\bin directory.
Run the following commands to set up the email alerts:
Command Value Example tssh properties set mailer.enabled true to enable email alerts; false to disable email alerts. tssh properties set mailer.enabled true tssh properties set mail.to.addresses The email address or a comma separated list of email addresses to send the alerts to. tssh properties set mail.to.addresses email@example.com tssh properties set mail.from.address The "From" email address that you want to be displayed in the email alerts. tssh properties set mail.from.address firstname.lastname@example.org tssh properties set mail.server.hostname The email server host name. tssh properties set mail.server.hostname mail.xyz.com
Run the following command to apply the properties:
tssh properties reload
- (Optional) Run the following command to view the properties that are set:
tssh properties list
After you receive a self-monitoring email alert, restart the entire Presentation Server services and not just the affected service.
Go to the <Presentation Server installation directory>\TrueSightPServer\truesightpserver\bin directory and run the following commands:
tssh server stop
tssh server start
The Events page of the TrueSight console displays self-monitoring events for the following conditions:
- Unavailability of the BMC Atrium Single Sign-On server
- Unavailability of the database (PostgreSQL) service
- Unavailability of components registered with the Presentation Server
- Failover on High Availability enabled installations
Only users with the Super Admin role can view self-monitoring events.
Some self-monitoring events might not get closed automatically after the service is restored. Manually close such events.
Self-monitoring events are indicated by theicon. The event severity determines the color of the icon.
Click an event timestamp to view details about the event.
The text Self-Monitoring is prefixed to self-monitoring events. On the Events page, enter Self-Monitoring in the search box to display only self-monitoring events.