Performing the BMC Digital Workplace and Smart IT upgrade
This topic describes how to use the GUI wizard installer to upgrade BMC Digital Workplace and Smart IT on a single server. Other options for running the installer are described in Performing the Smart IT and BMC Digital Workplace installation.
Before you begin
Complete the tasks described in Preparing for upgrade.
To upgrade BMC Digital Workplace and Smart IT on a single server
- Unzip the suite installer (for example, SmartITVV.VV.VV_DigitalWorkplaceV.V.V.windows.zip or SmartITVV.VV.VV_DigitalWorkplaceV.V.V.linux.tar.gz where VV.VV.VV and V.V.V indicate the version numbers of Smart IT and BMC Digital Workplace).
- Navigate to the Disk 1 folder.
- Start the installer:
- For Windows, run setup.exe.
For UNIX, run setup.bin.
- On the Welcome panel, click Next.
- Review the license agreement, click I agree to the terms of license agreement, and then click Next.
- Enter the values from the Upgrade worksheets.
After you have entered the required information, the installer validates your input.
- BMC recommends that you back up the following databases before performing an upgrade in your production environment:
- Remedy with Smart IT and BMC Digital Workplace database
- BMC Remedy AR System database
In case of upgrade errors related to database schemas or AR System workflow, you can use the backups to restore the databases and resume the upgrade from the last successful step.
Click Next to continue.
- Choose the upgrade option and click Next.
After post-installation cleanup, a summary of the installation appears.
- From the installation summary, review the information and any instructions. For example, if there was a database update failure, you can recover and run the upgrade again if you have a backup of your database and perform the recovery steps:
- Restore the database by using the backup created in step 6.
- View the installation log files to find and correct the cause of failure. For example, review any SEVERE error messages or warnings in the product installer log. See whether errors are due to network, host, or other environment-related issues. You can view a log file of the installation:
- C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Temp\myit_smartit_install_log.txt (Windows)
- /tmp/myit_smartit_install_log.txt (UNIX or Linux)
- Run the installer again. The upgrade will resume from the last successful step.
- Click Done to exit the installer.
To upgrade BMC Digital Workplace and Smart IT in a server group
- Upgrade BMC Digital Workplace and Smart IT on the first server, as described in To upgrade BMC Digital Workplace and Smart IT on a single server.
You can run the first upgrade on the primary server, or on any of the secondary servers.
Upgrade BMC Digital Workplace and Smart IT on each of the other servers in the server group.
For each of these additional upgrades, the application is upgraded on the applicable server. However, the AR System server and database are not updated, because they are updated when you run the upgrade on the first server.
You can save time by upgrading the other servers in parallel. However, you should start the additional upgrades only after completing the upgrade for the first server.