Verifying BMC ProactiveNet Data Collection Host installation
You can verify that the BMC ProactiveNet Data Collection Host (DCH) was installed successfully by using the following procedures.
To review the installation log
- If you just completed installing the BMC ProactiveNet DCH and the installer prompts you to view the installation log, click View Log and skip to step 3.
- If you exited the installer before viewing the log file, perform the following steps:
- Log on to the BMC ProactiveNet DCH.
- Open the installation and configuration log file, dch_install_log.txt, which is located under the C:\windows\temp subdirectory on Windows and /tmp on Linux.
- In the log, verify whether any error messages were reported.
If no error messages were reported, the installation was successful and you can skip the rest of the verification procedures for the BMC ProactiveNet DCH.
- For all error messages that were reported in the log, perform the To verify that the required service is running procedure.
- If a SEVERE error message was reported, additionally perform the steps documented in the Resolving product installation issues on target hosts topic.
To verify that the required service is running
Perform the following steps to verify that the BMC ProactiveNet Agent version port service is running.
- At a command prompt, run the command
pw system status.
- If the status shows that the BMC ProactiveNet Agent service is not running, restart the service.
- If errors occur that prevent restarting the service, restart the system by executing the command
pw system start.
To Verify that the DCH data is updated
- Select Start > All Programs > BMC ProactiveNet Server > BMC ProactiveNet Administration Console.
- Log on with the user name admin and password admin.
- Ensure that the Data Collection Host agent is added under the Advanced options-Agent list.
- Expand the Adapters folder and ensure that the BMC Patrol adapter is successfully added.
- Expand the Device > Server folder and ensure that Data Collection Host computer is added to the list.
The data for the Virtual Machine Monitor (VMM) should also be reflected.
To verify that the PATROL Agent Service is created
Perform the following steps on the host where you installed the BMC ProactiveNet Remote Agent Data Collection Host.
- On Windows, go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services and ensure that the PATROL Agent Service service was created.
- On Linux, run the
ps -ef | grep -i patrolcommand to ensure that the PATROL Agent Service process is running.