Capturing a snapshot of server application objects
As a part of the upgrade process, all upgrade servers should have the same application objects as those present on the production system. You must take a snapshot of your production server with the same application objects (not necessarily with the same data) before upgrading it. The snapshot captures only the overlays; it is not an equivalent of a VM snapshot or a database backup. All application objects and custom objects are not captured in this snapshot.
During AR reconciliation, the base application objects captured prior to BMC Remedy AR server upgrade are referred to as old definitions. The old definitions are compared with new definitions that are introduced after the upgrade. See Performing AR reconciliation.
Before you begin
- Install the latest version of BMC Remedy Developer studio. Even if you are upgrading to a version prior to the latest version, you should download the latest version of BMC Remedy AR System installer. BMC Remedy Developer studio is backward compatible and you also get the benefit of defect fixes made in the latest version. It is included in the AR System clients component of the BMC Remedy AR System installer.
- Complete your BMC Remedy AR System server customizations.
- In a staged upgrade, ensure that no changes are made to the application objects when upgrading on the production staging server.
To take a snapshot of your BMC Remedy AR System server application objects
- Open BMC Remedy Developer Studio and log on to your current production server.
- In the AR System Navigator, right-click the server name and click Capture Snapshot.
Browse to the path and provide the name for the snapshot (XML) file.
- Click Finish.
The snapshot of your existing production server is created. For information about how to compare snapshots by using Developer Studio, see Reviewing the Objects to Reconcile list.
You can also use snapshots to compare customizations that you have done in your latest version. For example, after upgrading to BMC Remedy AR System 9.1, you might want to take a snapshot of your latest production server and use this snapshot to compare the customizations that you make after applying a hotfix, patch, or service pack.