Installing Remedy Mid Tier on an external tomcat
In a Proof of Concept (PoC) environment, you can use bundled Apache Tomcat to deploy Mid Tier. In a production environment, it is recommended that you use an external Tomcat to deploy Mid Tier. Use of external Tomcat is recommended to overcome security vulnerabilities, if any, when using a bundled Tomcat.
You can also install Tomcat using a .war file. For more information, see Deploying Remedy Mid Tier on Tomcat by using a WAR file.
This topic provides the following details:
Before you begin
- Install Apache Tomcat on your computer. For download instructions, see https://tomcat.apache.org/download-80.cgi in the Apache Tomcat documentation. For the supported Tomcat version, see .
- If the arsys.xml file does not exist, create it in the Tomcat<ver>\conf\Catalina\localhost location and point to your Mid Tier location.
To install BMC Remedy Mid Tier on an external Tomcat
- Download the BMC Remedy AR System installer on a computer other than where you installed the AR System server.
- Unzip the suite installer (for example, ARSuiteKitWindows.zip or ARSuiteKitLinux.zip).
- Open the Disk 1 folder.
- Start the installer:
- For Windows, run setup.exe.
- For UNIX, run setup.bin.
- In the lower-right corner of the Welcome panel, click Next.
- Review the license agreement, click I agree to the terms of license agreement, and then click Next.
- On the Products selection panel, perform the following actions:
- Select Install.
- Select AR System mid tier and clear the other options.
The installer validates the system resources of your computer and displays a list of available features.
- Navigate to the directory in which you want to install BMC Remedy Mid Tier.
The default locations are C:\Program Files\BMC Software\ARSystem (Windows) and /opt/bmc/ARSystem (UNIX and Linux).
- To install Mid Tier on external Tomcat, select Use external tomcat server check box.
- Navigate to the Tomcat home directory.
- Click Next.
- Enter the values from the installation spreadsheet for the mid tier.
After you have entered the required information, the installer validates your inputs. The Installation Preview panel then appears, listing the product and features that will be installed.
- Click Next.
After post-installation cleanup, a summary of the installation appears.
- Click View Log to review any error messages or warnings in the product installer log.
See whether errors are due to network, host, or other environment-related issues. You can view a log file of the installation:
For Windows, C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Temp\arsystem_install_log.txt
For UNIX, /tmp/arsystem_install_log.txt
- Click Done to exit the AR System installer.
- Open the BMC Remedy Mid Tier Configuration Tool ( http://<midTierServer>:<PortNumber>/arsys/shared/config/config.jsp ).
The default password is arsystem.
- Click General Settings.
- Select the AR System server as the authentication server, and then click Save Changes.
To access the Remedy Mid Tier, go to http://<midTierServer>:<PortNumber>/arsys/