Upgrading an App Visibility agent silently
Where you are in the Upgrade process
|1||Preparing to upgrade TrueSight Operations Management solution|
|2||Upgrade Remedy Single Sign-On|
|3||Upgrade TrueSight Presentation Server|
|4||Upgrade TrueSight Infrastructure Management|
|5||Upgrade App Visibility Manager — Phase A|
|Upgrade App Visibility Manager — Phase B Task 1 (You are here)|
|Upgrade App Visibility Manager — Phase B Task 2|
|6||Upgrade Real End User Experience Monitoring Software Edition|
|7||Upgrade TrueSight IT Data Analytics|
As a system administrator, you can upgrade agents using the silent upgrade procedure, as presented in this topic, and deploy the silent upgrade to several computers, or you can upgrade each agent using the .
After you upgrade an agent, it runs using the same log files and configuration, and the same agent policy and recording configuration apply.
If you have the App Visibility Manager version 11.0.00.003 (Fix Pack 3) configured to work with the SAML authentication type, and want to upgrade your TrueSight Operations Management to version 11.3.01, you must also apply the Fix Pack version 11.3.02 for the SAML authentication type to work.
To upgrade a TrueSight App Visibility Manager agent for Java silently
Log in to the computer with the user that runs the application server.
- Open the silent options file javaagent-silent-options-upgrade.txt in a text editor.
- Enter the destination directory where the agent for Java is installed.
The default value is:
- (Windows) C:\Program Files (x86)\BMC Software\App Visibility\Agent for Java
- (Linux, AIX, Solaris) /opt/bmc/JavaAgent
- Stop the application server or Java virtual machine (JVM) process on the agent computer.
To upgrade a TrueSight App Visibility Manager agent for .NET silently
- Log in to the computer with the user that runs the application server.
- Extract the downloaded files to a temporary directory.
In a command line, run the following command and specify the full path and filename for the silent options file:
setup.exe -i silent -DOPTIONS_FILE=
The utility installs the current version with the same values as the earlier installation.
If you enabled HA for the App Visibility portal for the first time, upgrade each App Visibility agent, update the agent's portal connection details to the portal's load balancer. For details, see
MultiExcerpt named post_upg_dotnet was not found -- Please check the page name and MultiExcerpt name used in the MultiExcerpt-Include macro
Verifying the TrueSight App Visibility Manager agent for Java upgrade
You can verify that the App Visibility agent for Java upgrade was successful, and that the agent for Java was invoked, by reviewing the log files created and updated during the agent upgrade. For assistance with any issues that you cannot solve, contact BMC Customer Support.
To review the logs
Navigate to the same folder from where you ran the upgrade script and check for the bmc_ad_agent_install.log file.
- Ensure that other applications or processes are not holding files open.
Open and examine the log for error messages, such as that indicate incorrect privileges or write access.
To verify that the Agent for Java has been invoked
Navigate to the logs folder in the local installation directory. For example, C:\AppVis\ADOPsInstall\instances\<instance_name>\logs
Note: The <instance_name> variable is the name that is generated dynamically during the Agent first start-up.
Check for the aps_agent.log file.
If the log file exists, the installation was successful.
Open the aps_agent.log file and examine
[ERROR]messages for issues that you can address.
- In the TrueSight console, select Administration > App Visibility Agents from the navigation pane and confirm that the agent is online.
Verifying the TrueSight App Visibility Manager agent for .NET upgrade
You can verify that the App Visibility agent for .NET upgrade was successful, and that the agent for .NET was invoked, by reviewing the log files created and updated during upgrade. For assistance with issues that you cannot solve, contact BMC Customer Support.
To review the installation logs
- Open the agentinstaller_install_log.txt file, located in the %temp% folder.
- In the log, verify whether any error messages were reported. If there are no error messages, the upgrade was successful.
- In the TrueSight console, select Administration > App Visibility Agents from the navigation pane and confirm that the agent is online. For more information, see
- Add App Visibility to the TrueSight console, if you haven't already done so.