Upgrading a synthetic TEA Agent using the installation wizard
This section provides information about upgrading the Synthetic Transaction Execution Adapter (TEA) Agent from version 10.5.00 or later to the current version.
You can upgrade using an interactive wizard, or run a silent (unattended) upgrade script.
The following sections are presented:
Before you begin
- Verify that all requirements described in TEA Agent system requirements are met.
- Perform the relevant tasks listed in Upgrading the App Visibility server.
- Download the installation files.
- Install version 18.0 of Silk Performer or the agent.
Multiple versions of TEA Agents are not supported on the same computer. Make sure to upgrade all of them to the latest version.
To upgrade the synthetic TEA Agent
- Log on to the host computer as a user with administrator privileges and extract the downloaded files to a temporary directory.
- To start the upgrade utility, run setup.exe.
- On the welcome page, click Next.
- Review the license agreement, select I agree to the terms of the license agreement, and click Next.
The utility checks the for required software components and available space.
On the Directory Selection page, select the installation directory of the current TEA Agent installation.
Make sure to enter the correct path to the existing installation directory.
Review the Portal Details on the App Visibility Connection page. Modify the details if necessary, or click Next if no change is necessary.
If a load balancing server manages access to the portal, enter the port number of the load balancer.
Review the details in the Installation Preview page, confirming that the Installation Type is Configuration Change, and click Install.
One of the following responses occurs:
- Upgrade begins, using the parameters provided from the existing installation.
- Upgrade cannot begin because the TEA Agent is running. Click Previous and wait for the TEA Agent to stop (or manually stop the TEA Agent) before proceeding.
At this stage in the upgrade you may see the following message:
Test connection could not establish a secure connection with App Visibility. If you are using a custom certificate, after you install, use the certificate replacement tool to replace the agent certificate.
If you see this message, you need to replace your TEA Agent security certificate after the upgrade is finished. See Implementing private certificates for App Visibility components and Synthetic TEA Agents for more details.
On the Installation Summary page, click View Log to examine the upgrade log, then click Done to exit the utility.
- If your TEA Agent is installed on a Windows Server operating system, you need to restart the computer. See for more details.
If you are upgrading to a high-availability environment you need to re-register your TEA Agents with the TrueSight Presentation Server. Go to the Administration > App Visibility Agents screen in your Presentation Server and delete the TEA Agents. The TEA Agents will automatically re-register with the Presentation Server on the next heartbeat (which occurs every 30 seconds).
To verify that the TEA Agent installation was successful
- Using Windows Administration Tools to view local services, ensure that the service for the BMC TEA Agent is running.
If the service is not running, check in the bmcteaagent_install_log.txt file (located in the %temp% directory) for warnings or errors.
- Log on to the Presentation Server with Administrator access.
- From the navigation menu, select Administration > App Visibility Agents.
- Ensure that your installed Agent is listed in the table and that the Agent status is Online.
Where to go from here
After you install the BMC Transaction Execution Adapter Agent, the service automatically starts and the Agent is automatically registered by the Presentation Server. The Agent is ready to receive .