Upgrade process overview for Infrastructure Management
The following figure outlines the sequence of steps to be performed to upgrade to Infrastructure Management.
- To migrate the KB, see Using the mmigrate utility.
- To copy the merged KB, see Using the mmigrate utility.
- To upgrade Infrastructure Management Server, see one of the following links:
(Windows) Upgrading to Infrastructure Management Server 11.0 on Microsoft Windows(Linux) Upgrading the Infrastructure Management server on Linux
- To upgrade Integration Service, see one of the following links:
(Windows) Upgrading Integration Service on Microsoft Windows
(Linux) Upgrading Integration Service on Linux and Remote Cell on Linux, IBM AIX, or Solaris
Upgrade and configuration steps
The upgrade and configuration involves the following steps in the order listed:
- Install Remedy Single Sign-On and the Presentation Server, and import the Infrastructure Management PATROL repository. See Installation process overview.
- Upgrade to BMC TrueSight Infrastructure Management Server.
- Install and configure the Infrastructure Management Integration Service nodes. If enough hardware resources are available on existing Integration Service nodes, the Integration Service 11.0 node can be installed on the same host with the existing Integration Services. If you decide to co-host the new and older Integration Services on the same computer, note the following:
- Resource utilization requirements need to take into account the extra processes running on the host. You do not have to provide double the resources; however, you must provide more than what is required for maximum capacity for the old servers and the new services. To be safe, allocate an additional 30% over maximum so that there is headroom for all processes during the upgrade process. Be sure to account for disk space as well.
- You can install only one event management cell on a host. Additional event management cells can be created post installation using the CLI command. If you have an existing event management cell, you can leverage that cell with the Integration Services 11.0, but you must plan on upgrading it to the latest version.
- Log on to the Presentation Server.
- Create silent install packages for the PATROL Agents and KMs.
- Deploy the PATROL Agent/KM installation packages to upgrade starting with a few representative agents.
- Upgrade the PATROL Agents in batches of 50 to 100 at a time.
Pay attention to the load on the Integration Service node(s) and ensure that you are not exceeding the capacity. BMC recommends a maximum total of 900 agents per Integration Service for a large implementation.