Migration process overview for Infrastructure Management
This topic contains the best practices to be adopted when migrating to TrueSight Infrastructure Management 11.0.
At a minimum, complete the following actions before attempting a migration:
- Before you migrate or upgrade, review the Assisted MIGration Offering (AMIGO) checklist and then open a support case to review your plans. For information about the AMIGO program, see BMC Communities.
- Check the system requirements and scalability requirements and properly architect the design for the new environment.
- Ensure that you have performed all the tasks listed in Prerequisites for Infrastructure Management Server upgrade.
- If you are installing the 11.0 Integration Services on the existing Integration Service hosts, ensure that there are enough resources available and ensure that the configuration is set up to avoid conflicting ports.
Overall migration process
Migration involves installing TrueSight Infrastructure Management Servers 11.0 and Integration Service hosts. The old and new environments run in parallel for some period of time until all PATROL Agents are upgraded to 11.0 and all integrations with the TrueSight Infrastructure Management Server 11.0 are configured, tested, and fully enabled.
In a true migration, there are no differences between the TrueSight Infrastructure Management server and the Integration Service versions because you will be upgrading all the agents to 11.0 and pointing them to the new environment.
The migration process involves the following steps in the order listed.
- Install Remedy Single Sign-On and the TrueSight Presentation Server, and import the Infrastructure Management PATROL repositories. See Installation process overview.
- Installing fresh, new TrueSight Infrastructure Management Server(s) and Integration Service nodes on new hosts.
- . Do not enable event to ticket generation or any other external event propagation from the TrueSight Infrastructure Management Servers at this time.
- . This must involve developing and testing policies before putting them in production.
- Configuring forwarding of events from the new TrueSight Infrastructure Management Server to the earlier version of the TrueSight Infrastructure Management Server.
Upgrade agents and KMs. The upgrade process must include pointing the agents to the new infrastructure by assigning them to the new 11.0 Integration Service nodes as the agents are upgraded. For more information, see Upgrading the Infrastructure Management components.
As PATROL Agents 11.0 are installed on new hosts, the installation package must contain the integration settings for the new 11.0 Integration Service hosts.
Maintain event propagation from the TrueSight Infrastructure Management Server 11.0 to the older Server until the following is complete:
- All agents have been upgraded.
- The integration(s) between the TrueSight Infrastructure Management Server 11.0 and external components (for example, Incident Management, Atrium CMDB, xMatters, and so on) are complete and tested.
This allows you to maintain the older event processing workflows until you are ready to enable all event management, event to ticket generation, other external event propagation, service modeling and other features with the new TrueSight Infrastructure Management Server(s).
After all of the agents are upgraded and all of external integrations (Remedy IT Service Management, Atrium CMDB, service modeling, xMatters, and so on) are upgraded and tested, enable event management, automated ticket workflows, service modeling, and other features in Infrastructure Management 11.0.
At this point, you will “go live” in TrueSight Infrastructure Management 11.0. Disable these integrations in the older system(s).
Decommission the older TrueSight Infrastructure Management Server(s) and Integration Services.