Deploying packages to PATROL Agents using the TrueSight console
As an administrator, you can deploy packages to PATROL Agents. The installation runs silently with the information entered during the package creation. The deployable package is copied to the file system of the targeted PATROL Agents, is extracted and installed. You can also to the latest version using the same functionality.
See for the following scenarios:
- To perform a fresh installation of a PATROL Agent
- To deploy packages to PATROL Agents prior to version 10.0
You need to create deployable packages before you can deploy them. For more information, see
Review the following compatibility matrix to determine the available deployment options:
|10.0||10.5 or later|
|10.7 or later||10.5 or later|
*Force deployment is the capability to overwrite an existing installed solution with the same version from the package.
The following validations are performed before deploying packages:
PATROL Agent version - Packages are deployed only to PATROL Agents version 10.0 and later. The PATROL Agent can be upgraded from version 10.0 to the later versions.
Monitoring solution version - Monitoring solutions in the deployable package that are of earlier versions than what are available on the PATROL Agent are not deployed.Click here to view examples
- Scenario 1 - A more recent version of the monitoring solution is available in the package. The deployment is successful, and the installed version is upgraded.
- Scenario 2 - An older version of the monitoring solution is available in the package. The deployment is unsuccessful.
- Scenario 3 - A combination of a more recent and older version of monitoring solutions is available in the package. The deployment is partially successful, because the package contains a previous version for one of the monitoring solutions.
Scenario 4 - A combination of a more recent and same version of monitoring solutions is available in the package. The deployment is successful - One monitoring solution is upgraded and one is reinstalled.
The capability to overwrite an existing installed solution with the same version (force deployment) has been made available with TrueSight Presentation Server 10.7 and later. With force deployment, you can install the same KM that you have installed earlier. You can later uninstall the KM by using the Infrastructure Management Administrator Console.
- Integration Service version - Packages are deployed only to PATROL Agents that are connected to Integration Services version 10.5 and later.
- Operating system - Packages that do not match the operating system of the target PATROL Agents are not deployed.
- Installation directory - During installation, if the directory is not specified or if an incorrect directory is specified, the correct directory is automatically selected through the BMC_Base variable.
- Disk space - The Integration Service and PATROL Agent host must have sufficient disk space for deployment and installation.
- The Integration Service must have free disk space of at least the deployable package size.
- The PATROL Agent host must have free disk space of at least four times the deployable package size.
To deploy and install packages to PATROL Agents
- Log on to the TrueSight console. In the navigation pane, expand Configuration and select Managed Devices.
Expand the entries list to display the PATROL Agents that you want to deploy and install the package to.
Deploying a package to multiple PATROL Agent instances
You can deploy monitoring solutions to multiple PATROL Agent instances that are running on the same host.
From the action menu for the PATROL Agent, select Deploy and Install Packages.
- If you are simultaneously deploying the package to multiple PATROL Agents, you can use the action menu from the column heading to deploy the package to the selected PATROL Agents.
- For deploying the package to multiple PATROL Agents or when upgrading PATROL Agents, only the instance or service names that contain the word "PatrolAgent" are supported. The instance or service names are not case sensitive.
Select the packages that you want to deploy to the PATROL Agent and select Deploy and Install.
Deploying a package restarts the PATROL Agent.
If any package deployment validation fails, an error message is displayed and the remaining compatible packages, if any, are deployed and installed to the PATROL Agent.
During a deployment, if an Integration Service is disconnected, the deployment continues when the Integration Service is reconnected.
- View the status in the Deploy Status column. For more information, see
To view the deployment and installation status
The icons in the Deploy Status column indicate the deployment and installation status. See the following table for a description of the icons and the status.
The status of only the latest action (deployment or installation) is displayed in the Deploy Status column.
|Initiated||A deployment has been triggered on the PATROL Agent.|
Deploy in Progress
A deployment is currently in progress on the PATROL Agent.
Hover over the icon to view details.
Install in Progress
A deployment or installation has been triggered on the PATROL Agent and is currently in progress.
The latest installation on the PATROL Agent was successful. Hover over the icon to view details.
The latest deployment or installation on the PATROL Agent failed.
The same icon represents both deployment and installation status. Hover over the icon to view details.
The latest deployment or installation on the PATROL Agent failed.
Uninstall in Progress
The latest uninstallation of monitoring solution has been triggered on the PATROL Agent and is currently in progress.
Note: If you have installed a monitoring solution on a PATROL Agent without using the Deploy and Install option, you cannot uninstall the monitoring solution using the same option.
|The latest uninstallation of monitoring solutions on the PATROL Agent was successful.|
|The latest uninstallation of monitoring solutions on the PATROL Agent failed.|
The latest deployment on the PATROL Agent was aborted.
The status of the latest deployment or installation on the PATROL Agent is unknown.
This is the default status when a deployment job has not yet been triggered on a PATROL Agent.
Deploying packages to earlier versions of PATROL Agents
The deploy and install feature in the TrueSight console does not support PATROL Agents prior to version 10.0.
To deploy to such PATROL Agents, perform the following steps:
- Use the Save and Download option while creating a deployable package, as described in
- Copy the deployable package to the PATROL Agent host and extract it.
- Run the following file in the bmc_products directory: