Defining and managing on-premises instance types
Use the On-premises Instance Types tab in the Settings page to define the typical hardware configuration (CPU, memory, and storage) of instances such as VMs or standalone systems so as to group them by instance types.
For more information, see the following sections:
On-premises Instance Types tab
Instances with the same hardware configuration (CPU, memory, storage) can be grouped together as instance types. You can define these groups (instance types) in the On-premises Instance Types tab.
These instance types can be used as a dimension to analyze the costs of your on-premises infrastructure. For example, you can determine the cost of an on-premises service that is using instances of a specific instance type (Explore page).
|Default Instance types||#CPU||Memory||Storage|
You can modify the configuration of these instance types and add more instance types to the list. For more information, see Defining on-premises instance types.
Based on the costs that you define for the Resource allocation factors in the On-premises Costs tab, the minimum cost per instance type is computed and displayed in the Base Cost column per instance type. The cost is an indication of the base cost of an on-premises instance that has the same hardware configuration as that defined in the instance type. The actual cost of the instance considers the other factors such as licensing costs, and so on, and hence, might differ.
To define and manage the on-premises instance types
- Log on to the TrueSight console.
- Expand the left navigation pane and select Cloud Cost Control.
The Cloud Cost Control page is displayed.
The Settings page is displayed. The On-premises Cost tab is open by default. Settings > Settings.
- Click the On-premises Instance Type tab.
The On-premises Instance Types page is displayed.
- Click Settings action menu and select Edit.
The page is refreshed and is displayed in edit mode.
- To add a new instance type, click + Add Instance Type and specify the values for the following properties:
- Name: Specify a name for the instance type that you are defining.
- #CPU: Specify the number of CPU cores
- Memory: Specify the memory value in GB.
- Storage: Specify the disk size in GB.
- To modify the properties of an existing instance type, click in the box of the property that you want to change and specify the new value.
- To remove an existing instance type, click the corresponding x button.
The Cost Settings page is saved with the changes that you made. Based on the cost definition under the Resource Allocation section in the On-premises Costs tab, the minimum cost per instance type is computed and displayed in the Base Cost column.
The base cost does not consider the licensing costs for the virtualization platform and operating system.
Where to go from here