Archival of service requests and work orders
Service requests and work order records are automatically archived at regular intervals to provide you the following benefits:
- Reduced size of your production data sets.
- Improved overall system performance (for example, searches run more quickly, because searches only look at production data, not archived data).
- Enforcement of organizational data retention policies.
The archival process is enabled by default and runs every 24 hours. However, you can configure the frequency with which the archival process runs. You can also disable the process.
When an archival process takes place, it copies transactional data from a production form and its associated forms to a set of corresponding archive forms and then deletes the data from the production forms. This process happens within the same database. Later, you can remove older data from the archive form by performing an export process. Exporting data from the archive removes it from the database either by moving it to a .csv file, deleting it, or both.
- Archiving is not about backing up data. It’s about maintaining system performance and enabling record retention policies by removing obsolete records from the system. For more information about what happens to the archived records, see in the BMC Helix ITSM documentation.
- If you have Archive Admin permissions, you can see a list of the associated forms that are archived along with the main form by opening the main form in BMC Developer Studio (for example, SRM:Request) and then opening the Archiving tab.
You can exclude individual records from being archived as described in in the BMC Helix ITSM documentation.
In BMC Service Request Management, the archival process archives the following main forms and associated forms:
Fulfillment records archived
In addition to archiving service requests and work orders, the archival process also archives fulfillment records such as work orders, incident requests, and change requests according to the archiving policies established for those records.
Depending on how the Archiving policies are configured in your environment, it is possible for a fulfillment record to be archived before the related service request is archived. When this situation occurs, you will still see a reference to the fulfillment record in the Process View. However, the status of the fulfillment record shows as Archived and any linking to the fulfillment record is disabled. If you want to access the fulfillment record, contact a system administrator to get the record by running a report against the archive.
Attachments to Work Info records that are public and associated with fulfillment records are not available in the Service Request Activity log when the fulfillment record is archived before the service request.