Adding or removing fields on the Instance Editor in CMDB 2.0
To store details about the configuration items (CIs) and assets, Remedyforce CMDB provides a default set of attributes for each out-of-the-box class. You can create custom attributes to record additional information about the CIs and assets. Each attribute corresponds to a field in the
Base Element object and is shown on the General or the Specifications tab of the Instance Editor.
The fields shown on the General tab are part of the Base Element field set and are available to all CMDB classes. The fields shown on the Specifications tab are part of the field set that corresponds to the selected class and the field sets of all its parent classes (excluding Base Element). For example, if you select the Mainframe class (Base Element > Systems > Computer System > Mainframe), the fields shown on the Specifications tab are from the Systems, Computer System, and Mainframe field sets.
Before adding a custom attribute, determine the classes for which you want the attribute to be available. Next, identify the corresponding field set on the
Base Element object. For example, to add the Docking Station custom attribute for the Mainframe class, add the Docking Station field to the Mainframe field set of the
Base Element object. The Docking Station field is shown on the Specifications tab when you select a Mainframe CI.
This video (2:56) shows how to modify the CMDB CI forms in BMC Remedyforce.
To add or remove fields on the Instance Editor in CMDB 2.0
- Click the Remedyforce Administration tab.
- On the Home page, click the Manage Objects tile, and from the menu, select Create and Edit Objects.
- From the Objects list, select
Base Element, and then click Custom Fields and Relationships.
- If the field that you want to add does not exist, in the Custom Fields & Relationships section, create the field.
For more information about how to create a field, see https://help.salesforce.com/htviewhelpdoc?err=1&id=adding_fields.htm&siteLang=en_US.
- Depending on where you want to add or remove a field, perform one of the following actions:
- To add or remove a field from the General tab of the Instance Editor, on the Custom Object Base Element page, in the Field Sets section, in the Action column for Base Element field set, click Edit.
- To add or remove a field from the Specifications tab, on the Custom Object Base Element page, in the Field Sets section, in the Action column of the required field set, such as Mainframe, click Edit.
- Add or remove the required field from the In the Field Set list, and click Save.
This video (2:21) gives an overview of adding a custom attribute to a class in BMC Remedyforce.