Self-upgrading by installing the managed package
You can self-upgrade to the latest release of BMC Helix Remedyforce by manually installing the managed package that is available on Salesforce AppExchange. Based on your organization's needs and internal change control processes, you can perform a self-upgrade at any time or on any day before the scheduled automatic upgrade by BMC. For more information, see Release schedules.
The following topics are provided:
Before you begin
Before you install the latest BMC Helix Remedyforce managed package, BMC recommends that you review information about Items that are not upgraded.
To self-upgrade by installing the managed package
- Navigate to Setup > AppExchange Marketplace.
- In the AppExchange search bar, type Remedyforce and click Search.
- Click the BMC Remedyforce application and then click More.
- On the Remedyforce- ITIL Service Management & Help Desk page, click Get It Now.
- Select the I have read and agree to the terms and conditions check box and click Install from provider's site.
- Click I am a Remedyforce customer and I want to install the latest version.
- Perform one of the following actions:
- To install on a production organization, click Production.
To install on a sandbox organization, click Sandbox.
BMC recommends that you first upgrade your Sandbox environment and perform appropriate testing that fits your business processes. After your testing is complete and you are satisfied, upgrade your production environment.
- On the Log In page, log on to your Salesforce.com organization as a user with administrative permissions.
You must log on with the system administrator credentials.
If you do not select the correct profile access level and you do not want to assign out-of-the-box BMC Helix Remedyforce permission sets to your users, you must manually configure profile-level permissions for the new Visualforce pages, Apex classes, objects, and fields. For more information, see Configuring profile-level permissions after self-upgrade or automatic upgrade.
BMC recommends that you do not select the following options in the Install BMC Remedyforce - IT Help Desk section:
- Install for Admins Only—If you select this option, predefined access levels are automatically configured for the installing administrator’s profile and any profile with the "Customize Application" permission. In this case, you have to manually configure access levels for custom profiles in your organization.
- Install for All Users—If you select this option, predefined access levels are automatically configured for all your custom profiles. All users who are assigned custom profiles get the same level of predefined access.
For more information about the predefined access levels that are specified for each option, see the Salesforce Help.
In the Select Specific Profiles section, perform the following actions:
- For the ServiceDesk Change Manager profile, from the Access Level list, select ServiceDesk Change Manager.
- For all ServiceDesk Client profiles, from the Access Level list, select ServiceDesk Client.
- For the ServiceDesk Staff profile, from the Access Level list, select ServiceDesk Staff.
- For the rest of the profiles, leave the default value of No Access.
When the upgrade is complete, you receive four email messages: one from Salesforce and the others from BMC Helix Remedyforce.
If the upgrade is successful, you can begin using the application. If you receive a failure notification, contact BMC Support for next steps. In the event of a failure, the Salesforce.com organization is rolled back to the previous state. You can reinstall the managed package from Salesforce App Exchange. Click Upgrade.