Running the installation utility on a Windows computer
The PATROL Installation Utility provides a graphical UI that guides you through the installation process.
The installation utility interface consists of three panes:
- A navigation pane that displays an indicator of where you are in the installation process
- A data entry pane that displays each page that requires input during the installation
- A footer pane that displays a Help button, Back and Next buttons, Exit button, and on certain pages, the following additional buttons:
- Undo Changes—Returns any values that you enter in the currently displayed page to the default values.
- Show/Hide Advanced—Displays or hides optional advanced product configuration data entries. Consult the product documentation for the products that you are installing to determine the conditions under which you will need to enter any advanced configuration information.
Only one installation session should be started at a time. If you need to perform multiple installations on the same computer, close out of each installation session, and close all associated browser windows before beginning a new session.
Before you begin
You must have completed the tasks described in Preparing to install BMC products on Windows computers.
To run the installation utility on a Windows computer
- Start the installation utility by performing one of the following tasks:
- Use Windows Explorer to open the CD directory, and double-click setup.exe. (Do this only if you do not want to specify any special command line options.)
- Open a DOS command window, and change to the CD-ROM drive where the product CD is located. At the prompt, type setup.exe and any other command line options you would like to include, then press Enter.
When you launch the installation utility from a command line, you can specify certain command line options to access additional functionality. For information about command line options, see Command line options.
To select products to install
The list of products that you can select to install is based on the installation type and, optionally, on a system role that you select. Some products do not require different installation types or system roles. If this is the case for the product that you are installing, the Select Type of Installation and the Select System Roles pages are not displayed.
To install products, you will be asked to enter product configuration information in the installation utility for the products that you are installing. The type and amount of information depends on the products and the type of installation that you are performing (Default or Custom). Consult the product documentation for details on the information that you must enter for each product.
Selecting products by using the default installation path
If you select the default installation path, you will see a product selection tree similar to the one shown in the following figure.
Example of a product selection tree view for PATROL products--default installation path
The only selectable options shown are product solutions or groups, which are comprehensive sets of products designed to work together. If you are installing products using the default installation path, you can select only these comprehensive solutions or groups from the product selection tree. When you select a solution or group, all of the products included in that product set are automatically selected; you might not be able to clear individual products that you do not want to install.
In addition, you are presented with subsequent pages to enter only mandatory product configuration information.
Use the default installation path if your installation scenario is similar to one of the following examples:
- You are installing products for the first time.
- You would like to use default values for most product configuration information.
- You are not familiar with the product set that you are installing.
- You want to select a prepackaged group of products with predefined configurations.
Selecting products by using the custom installation path
If you select the custom installation path, you will see a product selection tree similar to the one shown in the following figure.
Example of a product selection tree view for PATROL products--custom installation path
The selectable options shown are solutions or groups and individual products. When you select a solution or group, all of the products that belong to that product set (including required and optional products) are automatically selected. However, by using the custom installation path, you can clear any of the optional products that you do not want to install.
In addition, you are presented with subsequent pages to enter both mandatory and optional product configuration information about these products.
Use the Custom installation path if your installation scenario is similar to one of the following examples:
- You are upgrading a previous product installation (you can also use the Custom path if you are installing a product for the first time).
- You would like to select and clear products within product groups.
- You want to more fully customize your product configuration.
- You are familiar with the product set that you are installing.