Quick start to monitoring
As an administrator, one of your initial tasks is to set up monitoring of your environment. You must install a PATROL Agent with the required Knowledge Module (KM) to start monitoring on Linux and Windows.
The following video (3:43) illustrates how you can start monitoring your environment.
To monitor Linux hosts
- On the Administration > Repository page, click Copy Install Script from the action menu for the Predefined_Package_For_Linux_x64 entry.
- Log on to the Linux host that you want to monitor.
- Paste and run the install script that you copied.
- Provide the following information when prompted:
- Root login credentials
- PATROL default account credentials
The install script installs the PATROL Agent for Linux and the Linux KM.
To monitor Windows hosts
- On the Administration > Repository page, click Download from the action menu for the Predefined_Package_For_Windows_x64 entry to download the package.
- Click Copy API Key and paste the information in a text editor.
- Log on to the Windows host that you want to monitor.
- Copy and extract the package that you downloaded earlier to a temporary location on the Windows host.
- Run the following command:
RunSilentInstall.exe -apikey=<apikey> where <apikey> is the API key that you pasted in a text editor.
- Provide the PATROL default account credentials when prompted.
RunSilentInstall command installs the PATROL Agent for Windows and the Windows KM.
What happens next?
Your BMC Helix Operations Management deployment includes out-of-the-box OS monitoring policies. These policies provide instructions and information to PATROL Agents on what to monitor, and how and when to generate an alert or event.
The out-of-the-box policies are enabled by default and detect your Linux or Windows host on which the PATROL Agent and KM are deployed.
To view the detected Linux or Windows host, go to the Monitoring > Devices page.
You can also monitor key performance indicators, services, and situations by performing the following steps:
- On BMC Helix Portal , click the BMC Helix AIOps tile.
- In the
BMC Helix AIOps
console, view the following details:
- Click Overview to view the key performance indicators that indicate the overall health of your system.
- Click Entities to view all services and their details.
- Click Situations to view all situations and their details.