Key considerations for migration
Consider the following factors before migrating from TrueSight Capacity Optimization to BMC Helix Continuous Optimization.
Data that you can migrate
When you run the migration tool, the following data is migrated automatically:
- Analyses and models
- Basic reports, basic report templates, and report results
- Catalog entities
- Custom metric profiles
- Entity filters and time filters
- ETL tasks and custom ETL code
- Historical data
- Optimize rules
- Tags and tagging rules
- SQL and Summary Data marts
- View groups and custom views with the supported templates. For details about the templates that are not supported, see the following section.
Features that are not supported in BMC Helix Continuous Optimization
BMC Helix Continuous Optimization includes changes to the level of support for the following features that are currently supported in TrueSight Capacity Optimization:
Features planned for future releases
Some features will be available in future releases of BMC Helix Continuous Optimization:
- Capacity views - AIX, Hyper-V, Datacenter Overview, Hadoop, Network, OpenStack, Solaris, XenServer
- Sunburst custom view templates
For more information about these features, see .
All of the future product plans and releases described herein relate to the current BMC product development considerations, which are at the sole discretion of BMC and are subject to change and/or cancellation at any time. BMC cannot provide any assurance as to whether these plans will result in any future releases of the nature described.
Support for some features, such as Integration Studio, Virtual Planner, and Chargeback is discontinued in BMC Helix Continuous Optimization. For a complete list of the discontinued features, see Deprecated and discontinued features.
Note: If you are using self-ETLs in TrueSight Capacity Optimization, you can use formula or custom ETLs to compute those custom metrics.
Support for data marts, Gateway Server, and virtual nodes
- All the data marts are migrated. To find the status of the data marts, navigate to Administration > Data marts. Filter on the Status column to view the status of the migrated data marts. For the data marts that show the status as
Warning, you may need to re-create the SQL data marts by using the Summary data mart wizard in BMC Helix Continuous Optimization. For more information, see Creating a summary data mart for a custom view.
- Although Gateway Server is supported in BMC Helix Continuous Optimization, it will not be migrated. You can configure the Gateway Servers after migration.
BMC Helix Continuous Optimization does not contain the Virtual Node system type for data imported from an operating system. BMC Helix Continuous Optimization provides separate namespaces for each metric that is imported from hypervisors and operating systems. After migration, metrics from the Virtual Node system type are assigned the opt:meas:vn namespace. For more information, see Namespaces.
Functions managed by BMC
The following administration functions related to components in your on-premises environment are not available in BMC Helix Continuous Optimization because they are now managed by BMC.
- Global configuration tasks that include SNMP notifications, search options, and manual editing of system properties
- Maintenance tasks that include configuring logs and software updates
- Modification of the data warehouse aging properties
- Primary scheduler restart