Estimating the cost of migrating servers to the public cloud
Use the migration simulation to evaluate the opportunity and cost effectiveness of migrating servers (compute resources or VMs) that are hosted in your on-premises infrastructure to a public cloud or from one public cloud to another. The simulation results enable you to quickly determine the projected cost of using the public cloud and compare the cost with that of your on-premises infrastructure.
You can simulate the migration of selected servers (from the Servers page) or all servers that a business service uses (from the Business services page). For every server to be migrated, you can view the optimized recommendations for instance sizes and other associated characteristics on the public cloud. You can modify these characteristics and evaluate the impact of the change on the overall migration cost.
You can simulate migration to the following public cloud providers:
- AWS (PAY-AS-YOU-GO and AWS Government subscriptions)
- Azure (PAY-AS-YOU-GO and Azure Government subscriptions)
- Google Cloud (PAY-AS-YOU-GO subscriptions)
- IBM Cloud (PAY-AS-YOU-GO subscriptions)
- Oracle Cloud (PAY-AS-YOU-GO subscriptions)
The simulation algorithm uses one of the following strategies for migration:
- Utilization-based migration: Resource utilization of the servers to be migrated is measured and analyzed to suggest the best or ideal resized instance types on the public clouds. This is the default strategy.
- Lift-and-Shift: Servers are replicated or re-hosted on the target public cloud without any redesigning.
For more information about the strategies, see Strategies for Migration Simulation.
The migration simulation considers a month of 30 days to estimate the migration costs.
The migration simulation feature enables you to achieve the following goals:
- Compare the on-premises and public cloud costs for the same set of servers.
- Evaluate the estimated monthly cost of migrating servers to a public cloud or a different cloud vendor.
- Evaluate the characteristics of the proposed or recommended instances on the public cloud.
- Customize or modify the characteristics of the proposed instances and evaluate the impact on the migration cost.
To estimate the cost of migrating servers to the public cloud
This section provides information about how you can estimate the cost of migrating servers to the public clouds.
|Understand strategies for migration simulation.||Strategies for Migration Simulation|
|Initiate the migration simulation.||Initiating the migration simulation|
|Evaluate the simulation results.||Evaluating the simulation results|
|Customize the proposed server characteristics as per your requirement and re-evaluate the migration costs and other updated values.|
|Save a copy of the simulation results for offline use.|
|Review the accuracy levels that are associated with the resizing recommendations.||Accuracy levels of Migration Simulation|
Cloud to cloud migration scenarios
Along with the scenario of migrating servers that are hosted in your on-premises infrastructure to the public cloud providers, the following migration scenarios are also supported:
|Source cloud provider||Target cloud providers||Description|
Hybrid (Mix of on-premises, AWS, Azure, Google Cloud, IBM Cloud, Oracle Cloud)
For example, you might use some servers that are hosted on a public cloud while some servers that are still in the on-premises data center.
|AWS||You can choose to simulate the migration of a server between regions of the same cloud provider. For example, the instance type of your choice is unavailable in the current region, then you can migrate the server to a region where it is available.|