Working with analyses
From the detail page of an analysis you can perform a set of common maintenance tasks, depending on the type of analysis and whether the analysis has been run at least once or not.
To view details about an analysis
From the left navigation pane, select the analysis.
A full description of the analysis is displayed in its detail page. This contains some useful information to help you, or other users that have not been involved in the creation process, to immediately frame the analysis output.
The available details are:
- Name of the analysis
- Type of analysis
- Description provided by the creator
- Template used
- Resolution chosen for the data
- Time Filter used in the analysis
- Time Filter Description for the used time filter
- Entity Filters used in the analysis
- Date of creation of the analysis
- Owner of the analysis
- (Optional) Models lists the models, if any, that use this analysis.
- (Optional) Reports lists the reports, if any, that use this analysis.
To run an analysis
To run an analysis, click Run now. After a short processing time, the results will be displayed in the working area.
You can run the analysis more than once, but only the last results will be stored and preserved. Run the same analysis again if you loaded new data in BMC Helix Continuous Optimization for the period considered by the filter, or if you changed the filter itself by editing the analysis.
By default, BMC Helix Continuous Optimization overwrites existing analysis results (charts and data) with the latest result.
To edit an analysis
See Editing an analysis.
To view analysis results
Analysis results are displayed in the form of:
- A table
- Small thumbnails of the charts generated by using the specified data, if the analysis has generated charts
Example of the detail page for an analysis
If the analysis produces charts, each thumbnail is accompanied by a short summary that describes the plotted metrics.
Click on a thumbnail to visualize the full size chart; the main frame will display the chart you selected and, on top of it, the other thumbnails, arranged in a scrollable strip. This page is called chart gallery of the analysis.
Example of chart gallery
To maximize the selected chart, click a thumbnail in the thumbnail stripe.
To go back to the analysis summary, click Back to result summary.
For more information on how to interact with charts and inspect in detail the analysis data, see Interacting with charts and analysis data.
To customize the analysis output chart
To promote an analysis to Golden
(Available only to administrators) Use the Promote to Golden option to schedule the analysis to be run at set intervals (daily, weekly or monthly).
Promoting an analysis to Golden
To create an analysis template
The following video (3:30) illustrates how to create an analysis template and use it in a custom view.
This video describes the functionality of TrueSight Capacity Optimization, but it is valid for BMC Helix Continuous Optimization too.
To create an analysis template based on the current analysis, click Save as template.
Saved templates can be accessed from the Administration tab. For more information, see Managing templates.
Set the following parameters:
- Name: Name of the new analysis template
- Description: Brief description of the template
- Group: Select a group with which the template is associated.
- Save as
- New template: A new analysis template will be created
- Overwrite template: The new template will overwrite the specified analysis template
- Template usage: This option is enabled only if the selected template generates a single chart and analysis type is supported in Views tab. If this option is disabled, by default the analysis template is shown in the Capacity console. For details, see Analysis chart types.