Integrating a BMC chat application with BMC Helix Digital Workplace
BMC offers multiple chat applications that you can integrate with BMC Helix Digital Workplace. By using these chat applications, your users can get answers to their questions by chatting with a virtual agent or a live agent. Live agents use the Support Agent Console to chat with users. They can chat with multiple users simultaneously, and their conversation is logged to an incident request.
The current user interface supports different chat applications: Live Chat and BMC Helix Virtual Agent. You can choose and configure any of these products to suit your business need.
If your end-users access use mobile devices to access BMC Helix Digital Workplace with BMC Helix Virtual Agent, they must launch BMC Helix Virtual Agent in a browser.
Before you begin
Determine the BMC chat application that you want to integrate with BMC Helix Digital Workplace. The following table outlines the requirements to two chat applications that BMC has:
|Applicable persona||Pre-configuration steps|
Included with BMC Helix Digital Workplace Advanced
End users (through the Self Service Portal) and agents (through BMC Helix ITSM: Smart IT and BMC Helix Business Workflows)
See in the Live Chat documentation.
BMC Helix Virtual Agent
|Paid license required||End users|
See in the BMC Helix Virtual Agent documentation.
To integrate BMC chat applications with BMC Helix Digital Workplace
- Configure the Chat button to be displayed in BMC Helix Digital Workplace and launched in a browser window.
- In the BMC Helix Digital Workplace Admin console (http://server:port/dwp/admin), select Configuration, and then click Application Features.
- In the Features table, select Virtual Chat.
- Under Configuration on the left side of the window, click Virtual Chat.
- In the Virtual Chat URL field, specify the URL to be connected to the BMC chat application on your environment.
The standard URL format is http://midTierServerName:portNumber/eschat/ (for example, http:// calbro.com:8080/eschat/
(Optional) Change the dimensions of the window.
ImportantThe default size for the chat window is 540 x 800 pixels. The minimum required size is 540 x 670 pixels. Reducing it may prevent the chat window from functioning as expected.
- Click Save.