The system can notify you about incidents. You can configure notification settings for an incident-detection rule to send SNMP traps, email, or both to individuals or groups for the incidents of interest. You can specify thresholds to determine which incidents are critical and require notifications to be sent. To perform this procedure, you must have Operator-level access, or higher.
Before you begin
Ensure that you have set up the email server (SMTP) settings and defined the email notification groups to which to send notifications.
If you do not know which rule you want to modify, perform the following steps:
In a Real User Analyzer component, point to Administration > Threshold and problem detection and click Incident detection.
- To see all rules, click the total number in right lower corner of the table:
Opening the list of all rules
To configure the system to send notifications via email
- In the list of rules, click the shortcut menu for the rule, and select Edit.
- On the rule page, select the Notification tab.
- In the Incident is critical when section, select Under the following circumstances.
- Select The number of affected users is ... or higher and type the number of users that are affected by the rule, for example 5.
- In the Notify when critical section, select a notification group.
- Click Save.
The system begins sending notification via email to the group of recipients whenever an incident for the selected rule affects five or more users.
To configure the system to send notifications via SNMP traps
Before you configure SNMP traps, a Security user must enable SNMP (Administration > Security settings > Services).
- On the shortcut menu for the incident-detection rule, click Edit.
- Click the Notifications tab.
- In the Incident is critical when section, select When urgency rating is ... or higher and type a number, for example 60.
- In the Notify when critical section, select Send SNMP trap.
- Click Save.
The system begins sending notifications via SNMP whenever an incident for the selected rule has an urgency rating of 60 or higher.
Adding an incident detection rule on the Analyzer
Defining incident-detection rules on the Analyzer
Enabling the SNMP service for end-user experience monitoring