This procedure describes how you can configure a custom field that captures page data that you can later use in Watchpoints and other system entities. To perform this procedure, you must have Operator-level access, or higher.
To add a page custom field
In a Real User Analyzer, point to the Administration > Data flow settings, and then click Custom fields.
- On the Action menu, click Create new page custom field.
- In the Field name and Description boxes, enter a name and a description for the new field.
- In the Grammar name text box, enter the name that you want to use to access the new field through the system's Watchpoint filter grammar.
You can use this grammar name to filter Watchpoints that use custom fields.
- In the Export name field, enter the name that you want to use to access the new field through the system data export feature.
This name appears in the header of any export file containing the field.
- In the Expected data type list, select the data type that you want the system to validate your field with.
This specification ensures that you do not see a string when you expect a number, or a decimal number when you expect an IP address.
- In the Source record type section, use the option buttons to indicate which object within a page contributes its data to your field:
- entry point — Takes a value from the highest-priority extraction rule as applied to the first object in the page (the object at the entry point) or page in the session
- first occurrence — Takes a value from the first occurrence among the values detected by the highest-priority extraction rule
- exit point — Takes a value from the highest-priority extraction rule as applied to the last object in the page (the object at the exit point) or page in the session
- last occurrence — Takes a value from the last occurrence among the values detected by the highest-priority extraction rule
- all occurrences — Creates a comma-separated list of all values from the pages or objects contributing their data to your field in a session
- In the Final output size limit box, enter the maximum number of characters for the field output (additional characters are truncated).
- Click Save.
The system creates a page custom field. Now you can add an extraction rule to this custom field.
When you create a page custom field, you can automatically create an equivalent session custom field. Similarly, when you create an object custom field, you can create equivalent page and session custom fields automatically. These automatically created custom fields are known as inherited custom fields. You can create them only when you create the original custom field.
An inherited custom field uses the same grammar name identifier as its parent and shares other settings. To change a custom field setting but not affect the field created by inheritance, you must first break the connection by changing the grammar name of either the inherited field or the parent field.
Adding custom fields on the Analyzer
Adding an extraction rule to a custom field