This task describes how to disable a selected printer so that the printer cannot process print jobs.
Before you begin
- You must be root to run this command.
- Because the print manager will continue to add print jobs to the print queue while the printer is unavailable, use this command only if the printer will be unavailable for a short time. If the printer will be unavailable for long periods of time, stop the printer's queue. For more information about this task, see Stopping a Print Queue.
To Stop a Printer
On the printer that you want to stop so that it cannot process any more print jobs, perform the following steps.
- Access the PRINTER application menu as described in Accessing KM Commands and InfoBoxes.
- Select Stop Printer. BMC PATROL prompts you for the password for the root account.
- Type the password and click OK.
PATROL stops the printer, changes the status of its PATROL instance, and writes the results to a PATROL task object, Stop Printer, in the PRINTER container.
- If the print queue is enabled when you stop the printer, PATROL changes the state of the PRINTER instance to ALARM.
- If the print queue is disabled or stopped when you stop the printer, PATROL changes the state of the PRINTER instance to OFFLINE. BMC PATROL changes the printer icon to OFFLINE. To restart the printer from within BMC PATROL, see Starting a Printer