This task describes how to disable a selected print queue so that the print manager does not assign any more jobs to it.
Before you begin
- You must be root to run this command.
- Use this command if the printer will be unavailable for long periods of time. If the printer will be unavailable for only a short period of time, stop the printer. For more information about this task, see Stopping a Printer.
- You can also disable spooling to this printer.
To Stop a Print Queue
On the printer whose queue you want to stop, perform the following steps.
- Access the PRINTER application menu as described in Accessing KM Commands and InfoBoxes.
- Select Stop Queue. BMC PATROL prompts you for the password for the root account.
- Type the password and click on OK.
PATROL disables the print queue, changes the status of the PATROL instance for the printer with which it is associated, and writes the results to a PATROL task object, Stop Queue, in the PRINTER container.
- If the printer is enabled or online when you stop the print queue, BMC PATROL changes the state of the PRINTER instance to WARN.
- If the printer is disabled or stopped when you stop the print queue, BMC PATROL changes the state of the PRINTER instance to OFFLINE.
To restart the print queue from within BMC PATROL, see Starting a Print Queue