This task describes how to enable a selected print queue so that the print manager can assign print jobs to it.
Before you begin
- You must be root to run this command.
- If the printer associated with the print queue is enabled, PATROL changes the status of the printer's PATROL instance to OK.
- If the print queue associated with the printer is disabled, PATROL changes the status of the printer's PATROL instance to ALARM.
To Start a Print Queue
On the printer whose queue you want to start, perform the following steps.
- Access the PRINTER application menu as described in Accessing KM Commands and InfoBoxes.
- Select Start Queue. BMC PATROL prompts you for the password for the root account.
- Type the password and click on OK. PATROL enables the print queue, changes the status of the PATROL instance for the printer with which it is associated, and writes the results to a PATROL task object, Start Queue, in the PRINTER container.
- If the printer is enabled or online when you start the print queue, BMC PATROL changes the state of the PRINTER instance to OK.
- If the printer is disabled or stopped when you start the print queue, BMC PATROL changes the state of the PRINTER instance to ALARM.
To stop a print queue from within BMC PATROL, see Stopping a Print Queue.