Ports used in an Infrastructure Management deployment
The following figure illustrates a typical high-level logical architecture for an Infrastructure Management deployment using multiple BMC TrueSight Infrastructure Management Servers. The same ports are used in a single Infrastructure Management server deployment. The arrows indicate the direction from which the connections are established.
Ports used by Infrastructure Management system components for network communication
*Prior to Fix Pack 1 (10.0.500.001), the RMI port is an out-of-the-box dynamic port. After you install Fix Pack 1 and later, the RMI port is set to 2100. See Setting the RMI port for more information.
Setting the RMI port
To add or update the RMI port information, perform the following steps:
- Access the <Infrastructure Management install directory>/pw/jboss/server/minimal_jms/conf/jboss-service.xml file.
Add or update the following entry:
Port 2100 is an example. You can specify any available port number.
- Restart the Infrastructure Management server.
- Repeat the above steps for all Infrastructure Management servers connected to a Presentation Server.
Ports used in BMC PATROL data collection
The following diagram illustrates the default ports on which connections are made regarding communications from the BMC PATROL Agents through the Integration Service to the Infrastructure Management Server. The direction of the arrows indicates the connection requests.
Network communication ports used in data collection from PATROL Agents
The BMC PATROL Agent can forward events to its consumers through two channels:
- Channel through the Integration Service—In this channel, an event shares the same channel that is available for data streaming. All the events that are triggered and filtered to pass are routed through the Integration Service. The event response acknowledgement is implemented in the BMC PATROL Agent to guarantee the delivery of the event to consumers, which in this case is Infrastructure Management.
- Separate Channel through IMGW—In this channel, an event is pushed to the Server Cell that uses propagate rules to forward the event to one or more destination cells or gateways. The BMC PATROL Agent has a dependency on the IMGW library interface for the message acknowledgement mechanism. Guaranteed delivery is available only between two peer IMGW interfaces.
Ports used by the Infrastructure Management administration console
The following diagram illustrates the connections between the Administration Console and other Infrastructure Management components. The ports listed are default ports and the arrows indicate the direction of the connection requests.
Network ports used by the Administration console to communicate with Infrastructure Management servers
Ports used by the Infrastructure Management and Reporting databases
The following diagram illustrates the connections between the Infrastructure Management database server, the Infrastructure Management Server, the BMC TrueSight Operations Management Reporting Server, and the Reporting Engine Server. The ports listed are default ports and the arrows indicate the direction of the connection requests.
Network ports used in database-to-server communication between Infrastructure Management and Reporting
Infrastructure Management ports required to integrate Infrastructure Management with BMC Atrium CMDB
The following table lists the ports that are required to integrate Infrastructure Management with BMC Atrium CMDB.
|smmgr||To configure smmgr, configure the |
|BMC Atrium CMDB||TCD specific port||To configure the TCD-specific port, configure the C:\Program Files\BMC Software\ARSystem\Conf\ar.conf file.|
|Plugin port||To configure the plugin port, configure the C:\Program Files\BMC Software\ARSystem\Conf\ar.conf file.|
|TCP (Notify plug-in)||1840|
|BMC Atrium Web Services||UDDI||To configure the UDDI port, C:\Program Files\BMC Software\AtriumCore\shared\tomcat\conf\server.xml.|
|Integration for BMC Remedy Service Desk||TCP||3115 (must be configured on the BMC Remedy AR Server)|
|TCP||1828 (must be configured on the BMC Remedy AR Server to communicate with the cell)|
1828 – 1840
You can configure some ports during the installation and some only after the installation of the Infrastructure Management Server.
For information about securing port communication, see Securing internal port communication.