This topic provides information about BMC TrueSight Infrastructure Management update 10.0.500. Apply this update if your deployment meets all of the following criteria:
- You have BMC TrueSight Infrastructure Management Server 10.0 connected with Presentation Server 10.0
- You are upgrading BMC TrueSight Presentation Server from 10.0 to 10.1
- You want to use of the Presentation Server 10.1 that are dependent on Infrastructure Management
Before you apply this update, you must have previously installed BMC TrueSight Infrastructure Management 10.0. This standalone update installer does not contain all of the files that are required for a complete product release.
If you are installing BMC TrueSight Infrastructure Management Server 10.0 for the first time or upgrading from existing versions to 10.0, see Installing and Upgrading. You can use the updated Infrastructure Management Server 10.0.500 installer that first installs the Infrastructure Management Server 10.0 and then applies the Infrastructure Management update 10.0.500. For information about downloading BMC TrueSight Infrastructure Management 10.0 and 10.0.500, see Downloading the installation files.
TrueSight Infrastructure Management Update 10.0.500 provides the following enhancements:
Auto diagnosis of JServer failure
With this update of infrastructure Management Server, if JServer fails to initialize, JServer automatically diagnoses and reports the cause of the failure including the duration of each failure in the jserverautodiagnosis.log file. This log file also provides the details of processes that JServer initializes, including the initialization time taken by each process.
JServer also reports the status of its initialization on multiple platforms in the jserver_initialization_report_<timestamp>.html file. The log and HTML files are located in the following folder:
View events from a remote cell on the TrueSight console
Downloading the update
Create a directory in which to place the downloaded files.
On Microsoft Windows computers, ensure that the new directory is only one level into the directory structure. The EPD package creates a directory in the temporary directory when you extract the files, and the directory that contains the installation image must not be in a directory deeper than two levels into the directory structure.
- Go to http://www.bmc.com/available/epd.html.
- At the logon prompt, enter your user ID and password, and click Submit.
- On the Export Compliance and Access Terms page, provide the required information, accept the terms of the agreements, and click Continue.
- If you are accessing this site for the first time, create an EPD profile to specify the languages and platforms that you want to see, according to the EPD site help; otherwise, skip to step 6.
- Verify that the correct profile is displayed for your download purpose, or use the Profile list to select a different profile.
- From the Component View (the default view), in the Filter Products text box under Products, type BMC TrueSight Infrastructure Management and press Enter, or click Go.
- From the list of products displayed on the right side, click the BMC TrueSight Infrastructure Management product license.
- In the Version list, select 10.0.00, the Platform (if applicable), and click Go.
Click the Patches tab, and select the check boxes next to the files and documents to download. The following table lists product files for each platform available on EPD for BMC TrueSight Infrastructure Management Update.Link titlePlatformActual file name
BMC TrueSight Infrastructure Management Version 10.0.500 – Update Windows BMC_TrueSight_Infra_Mgmt_10.0.500_Update_Windows.zip BMC TrueSight Infrastructure Management Version 10.0.500 – Update Linux BMC_TrueSight_Infra_Mgmt_10.0.500_Update_Linux.tar.gz BMC TrueSight Infrastructure Management Version 10.0.500 – Update Solaris BMC_TrueSight_Infra_Mgmt_10.0.500_Update_Solaris.tar.gz
- Click Download (FTP) or Download Manager:
- Download (FTP) places the selected items in an FTP directory, and the credentials and FTP instructions are sent to you in an email message.
- Download Manager enables you to download multiple files consecutively and to resume an interrupted download if the connection drops.
This method requires a one-time installation of the Akamai NetSession client program on the target computer and is usually the faster and more reliable way to transfer files. A checksum operation is used to verify file integrity automatically.
To go back to the product listing page to download other product files, or to log out from EPD, click the << Back to Product List link that is displayed to the top-right of the pop-up window.
Applying the update
You must apply this update on the hosts that are running Infrastructure Management Server 10.0.
Before you begin
- The Infrastructure Management installer automatically stops default cells while the update is applied. If you have user-created cells in your environment, you must stop them before applying this update.
- Ensure that all Infrastructure Management 10.0 processes and services are running.
- Based on the operating system, extract the contents of the zip or tar.gz file. The contents of the file are extracted to the <OS> folder.
To apply this update to a standalone server
You can apply this update using either GUI-based installation or silent installation.
- Run the installation utility for your operating system:
- (Windows) From Windows\Disk1, double-click install.cmd.
- (Linux) From Linux/Disk1, run install.sh.
- (Solaris) From Solaris/Disk1, run install.sh.
- On the Welcome page, click Next.
- On the license agreement page, select I agree to the terms of the license agreement, and click Next.
On the Update Confirmation page, click Yes, and click Next.
After you confirm, the Infrastructure Management Server is stopped temporarily and then restarted automatically after the upgrade.
- On the Installation Preview page, review the information and click Previous to make changes, or click Install.
- After the update is complete, click View Log to view the log files and confirm that the update process was successful.
- Click Done to exit the installation wizard.
- From the command prompt, navigate to the following directory for your operating system:
- (Windows) Windows\Disk1
- (Linux) Linux/Disk1
- (Solaris) Solaris/Disk1
- Customize the server_update_silent.options file as required.
- To install the update by using the server_update_silent.options file, enter the following command at the command prompt:
install.cmd -i silent -DOPTIONS_FILE=<fullyQualifiedPath>\server_update_silent.options
./install.sh -i silent -DOPTIONS_FILE=<fullyQualifiedPath>/
fullyQualifiedPath indicates the complete path where you have saved the server_update_silent.options file. If the fullyQualifiedPath parameter contains a space in it, enclose the path within double quotation marks.
Example for Windows
install.cmd -i silent -DOPTIONS_FILE="C:\Program Files\TSIM Installation\server_update_silent.options"
Example for Linux/Solaris
./install.sh -i silent -DOPTIONS_FILE="/opt/TSIM Installation/
Check for a successful update by using the
pw viewhistory command to view a log file of patches and hotfixes applied to Infrastructure Management Server. You can also use the
pw version command to check the latest version number.
To apply this update in the high availability deployment
For high availability deployment, apply this update on the Primary server only. Running this update on the Secondary server is not required. Both Primary and Secondary servers are synchronized automatically reflecting the Primary server’s data on the Secondary server.
If you do not want to upgrade the Presentation Server, you must restart the Presentation Server to use the updated Infrastructure Management with the Presentation Server 10.0.
Troubleshooting the update
This section provides information that can help you troubleshoot problems that might occur during or after applying this update.
Restoring the Infrastructure Management version 10.0 if the update fails
When you apply the update 10.0.500 to the Infrastructure Management Server 10.0, the update installer automatically backs up the installation and configuration files of the Infrastructure Management Server 10.0 installation in the following folder:
- (Windows) installationDirectory\TrueSight\TSIMServerBackup
- (Linux/Solaris) installationDirectory/TrueSight/TSIMServerBackup
Restore the Infrastructure Management Server 10.0:
- Stop the Infrastructure Management Server if it is running.
- In the TSIMServerBackup folder, Copy the pw folder and paste it outside the TSIMServerBackup folder in the TrueSight folder.
- The TrueSight folder already contains the pw folder. Select Yes, when prompted for Confirm Folder Replace.
- Select the Do this for all current items check box and select Yes.
- In the Copy File dialog box, select Copy and Replace and the Apply this for all conflicts checkfox.
- Delete the TSIMUpdate_Version.txt and PATCH_VERSION files located in the following directory:
- (Windows) installationDirectory\TrueSight\pw\pronto\bin
- (Linux/Solaris) installationDirectory/TrueSight/pw/pronto/bin
- Start the Infrastructure Management Server.
Incorrect entry for the update in the Control Panel
When you apply the update 10.0.500 to the Infrastructure Management Server 10.0 on Windows, the installer adds an extra entry for the update in the Control Panel. You can ignore this entry.
Where to go from here