This topic provides the following information:
Where to find more information
Understanding the kinds of product metric files
You can monitor two kinds of product metrics files:
- Product metrics for the Search component
- Product metrics for the Collection Station
The following table lists the file locations for each component:
|Component||Operating system||Directory path|
You can monitor these by performing searches, adding views, or adding notifications. For more information about the search syntax, see Syntax for searching the product metrics file.
Monitoring the product metric files
To monitor the product metrics files, you need to first collect data into the product.
When you install the product, the data collector for collecting the Collection_metrics.log file is already created at Administration > Data Collectors. Also, by default a line chart showing data indexed in the last week is displayed on the Search tab in the top-right quadrant. For more information about the chart, see Search tab.
If you want to monitor, the itda_metrics.log, you need to manually create a data collector.
To monitor the itda_metrics log
- Navigate to Administration > Data Collectors to create a data collector of the type Monitor file on Collection Agent.
- Enter the following inputs into the fields:
- Type: Select Monitor file on Collection Agent.
- Collection Host (Agent): Retain the default selection that points to the Collection Station to collect the product data locally.
- Directory Path: Set this value to $BMC_ITDA_HOME/logs.
- Filename/Rollover Pattern: Set this value to Itda_metrics*.log.
- Pattern: Set this value to ITDA Metrics.
- Under the Group Access section, select the user groups that must have permissions to see the data collected by this data collector.
- Provide other necessary user inputs.
For more information about the remaining user inputs, see Monitor file on Collection Agent.
- Click Create.
If you want to manually create a data collector for collecting the Collection_metrics.log file, follow the instructions for monitoring the itda_metrics log file with the exception of the following inputs:
- Directory Path: Set this value to $BMC_ITDA_HOME/station/collection/logs.
- Filename/Rollover Pattern: Set this value to Collection_metrics*.log.