You can install the product on a single-server by performing a typical installation. This type of installation is recommended for deploying the product on a nonproduction, small, or medium setup. For more information, see Hardware sizing recommendations.
If you want to change the default ports used for the product components, then you need to perform a custom installation. For more information, see Performing a custom installation.
This topic contains the following information:
Where to find more information
Before you begin
Ensure that you have completed the tasks in Preparing for installation.
If you want to use the Collection Agent as your data collection mechanism, then ensure that you read the following topics:
To perform a typical installation
- Start the installation program by running the setup (for Windows) or setup.bin (for Linux) file. Click Next.
- Read the license agreement and agree to the terms. Click Next.
- Select Typical Setup and click Next.
- The directory location defaults to the following:
You can change the destination directory by clicking Browse. Click Next to display the BMC TrueSight IT Data Analytics Settings screen.
- Windows: C:\Program Files\BMC Software\TrueSight\ITDA.
- Linux: /opt/bmc/TrueSight/ITDA
- Perform the following steps depending on your platform and click Next.
The Installation Preview screen is displayed, providing information about the features to be installed, the total disk size, the destination directory, and so on.
- Windows: Pin the product to your Start menu, and start the product services immediately after the installation is complete.
- Windows and Linux: Start the product services immediately after the installation is complete.
- Click Install to start the installation.
- (Optional) Click View Log to see the installation log.
To exit the installation program, click Done.
By default, the following environment variable pointing to the product installation path is automatically set:
Getting and applying the product license
When you install the product, a default license gets installed which is valid for 30 days from the date of installation.
When the license validity is less than 90 days, a message indicating the expiry date is displayed on the logon page.
To continue using the product after 30 days
- Get the license by contacting BMC Support.
- Apply the license by copying the LicenseKey to the location where the product is installed (for example, %BMC_ITDA_HOME%). You need to overwrite the license file that already exists.
- Re-start the BMC TrueSight IT Data Analytics server. For more information, see Starting or stopping product services.
Where to go from here
(Optional) Verify if the installation completed successfully.
Access the product by using the Start menu.
While running the installer, if you did not have the product start services immediately, then manually start the services.
Perform configurations such as enabling security for the product, configuring the email setting, and adding Indexers to the Indexer cluster.
Start data collection immediately after installation, by making the following configurations:
- (Optional) Create Data patterns to define how the data collected must be indexed and displayed.
- Create data collectors to define the type of data to be collected and how it must be collected, and to start the data-collection process.