The following table provides information and guidelines related to installing BMC Release Process Management (RPM) and BMC Release Lifecycle Management Requester UI (now called Release Process Management - Requester UI, 5.0.03.001 onward) in your environment.
Introduce the stages of installing RPM and RLM Requester UI (now called RPM Requester UI, 5.0.03.001 onward) and describe the activities and tasks that occur during each stage.
|Installation process overview|
Gain knowledge of the installation process so that you can anticipate what is expected of you and identify the overall activities that you will be required to perform during installation.
- Enable you to locate and download the installation files.
- Explain the steps to take to set up your installation environment, including using the Java Runtime Engine already installed on your computer, if desired.
- Describe how to turn off specific Terminal Server configuration options so that you can install the product on a Windows computer through a remote connection.
|Preparing for installation|
- Know the files to be downloaded, where they are located on the BMC Software Electronic Product Distribution (EPD) website, and how to download the files to the appropriate directory or folder.
- Ensure that required ports are available and determine the database you plan to use, whether it is the PostgreSQL feature included in the product installer, or whether you plan to create a PostgreSQL, Oracle, or Microsoft SQL database before installing the product.
- Determine the Java Runtime Engine (JRE) you plan to use, the one packaged with the RPM installer or the one already installed on your computer, and make any necessary configurations.
- Prepare your Windows environment to execute the installation wizard through a Terminal Services connection or a remote desktop session, if desired.
- Describe the tasks you need to perform before and after you install the product.
- Provide step-by-step instructions that walk you through the installation process.
|Performing the installation|
- Ensure that your environment meets system requirements and that directories and ports are properly configured and available.
- Install and set up RPM and RLM Requester UI (now called RPM Requester UI, 5.0.03.001 onward) with other bundled components, such as JRE and PostgreSQL database.
- Be aware of additional tasks that might be required post-installation and be able to access the information that describes how to perform these tasks.
- Describe the concept of a silent (unattended) installation and explain the tasks you need to complete before you begin the unattended installation.
- Provide step-by-step instructions for setting up an options file, modifying appropriate properties and settings, and executing silent installation.
- Determine if a silent installation is appropriate for your environment and take the steps necessary to ensure that your environment is properly prepared for unattended installation.
- Create an options file and specify the appropriate properties and values required to install RPM.
- Create an options file and specify the appropriate properties and values required to install RLM Requester UI (now called RPM Requester UI, 5.0.03.001 onward).
- Execute the appropriate command to run the silent installation.
Provide step-by-step instructions that walk you through the process of creating a private key and SSL certificate.
|Obtaining test SSL certificates||Access the provided link to generate a private key and certificate, and use Open Secure Socket Layer (Open SSL) to export the private key and certificate.|
- Create a private key and SSL certificate using the command prompt.
- Enable HTTPS/SSL on the existing RPM instance.
|Enabling HTTPS/SSL on existing instance ||Set up a secure connection to access the RPM application server.|
Provide step-by-step instructions for uninstalling RPM and RLM Requester UI (now called RPM Requester UI, 5.0.03.001 onward) either by using the interactive uninstallation wizard or using a silent (unattended) uninstallation.
Follow the step-by-step instructions to directly uninstall the product using the uninstallation wizard or to perform a silent uninstallation.