The BMC PATROL for Micorosoft Windows solution is a part of the base repository in the BMC ProactiveNet Performance Management environment and is automatically imported when you install the base repository in BMC ProactiveNet Performance Management. You must then install the solution using BMC ProactiveNet Central Monitoring Administration and then configure individual KMs. For more information, see Working with Central Monitoring Administration in the BMC ProactiveNet 9.5 online documentation portal.
Installing BMC ProactiveNet Microsoft Windows Server solution
- Log on to BMC ProactiveNet Central Monitoring Administration. For information, see Logging on to Central Monitoring Administration in the BMC ProactiveNet 9.5 online documentation portal.
- In the navigation pane, click Repository > Deployable Package Repository and then click Add .
- Add a new component installation package for this monitor solution.
If you have already saved a component installation package for this monitor solution, select the package or use the Filter by Operating System menu to find the package. If you have already saved a component installation package for this monitor solution, you can edit an existing package and save it under a new name. You can edit any part of an existing component installation package except the operating system and platform. For details, see Creating a component installation package.
- Download the component installation package, extract it, and run the installation file. The installation is performed silently. For details, see Downloading and installing an installation package in the BMC ProactiveNet 9.5 online documentation portal.
Creating a component installation package
With Central Monitoring Administration, you can select the BMC PATROL Agent and the Microsoft Windows Servers installation component, from the BMC ProactiveNet Central Monitoring Repository to create an installation package. The components can then be installed together using the installation package. You can reuse the installation packages, or deploy the packages to multiple computers.
The BMC ProactiveNet Central Monitoring Repository is a requirement on the BMC ProactiveNet Central Server where Central Monitoring Administration is enabled. The Central Monitoring Repository includes the current versions of BMC components that you can use with BMC ProactiveNet.
For more information, see Managing the repository in the BMC ProactiveNet 9.5 online documentation portal.
Before you begin
For supported 64-bit Linux versions, you must install the glibc.i686 Linux runtime package version 2.3.4 or later. Without the Linux runtime package, BMC ProactiveNet component installations might fail.
To create a component installation package
- In the navigation pane of Central Monitoring Administration, click the Repository drawer and select Deployable Package Repository.
- Click Add.
- Select the operating system for which you want to create a package, and then select a platform on which you want to install the package. The list of components in the repository that are supported on the specified operating system and platform is displayed.
- From the Available components list, select Microsoft Windows Servers and any other components that you want to include in the package.
- From the Version list, select the version of Microsoft Windows Servers that you want to include in the package.
You can select a specific version or you can select latest, which automatically updates the package with the latest versions of the components when new versions are added to the Central Monitoring Repository.
By default, the appropriate BMC PATROL Agent for the operating system and platform that you choose are included in the Selected components list. If the PATROL Agent has been previously installed on the targeted servers, you do not have to include it in the installation package.
Click the right arrow button to move the selected component into the Selected components list, and then click Next.
Certain components might require you to enter information on additional screens.
On the Specify Installation Directory page, click Next to accept the default path, or enter a valid path and click Next.
- (UNIX only) On the Provide the System Root (or root privileged via sudo) Account Properties page, enter the root login name (default is root) and password. You can perform this task at a later time. If you do not enter a password, an additional dialog box is displayed asking you whether you want to continue with a blank root password.
- On the Provide the PATROL 3.x Product Directory page, click Next to accept the default values. If you did not accept the default values on the Specify Component Directory page, carefully read the Important Information section and follow the instructions. Click Next.
- On the Provide the PATROL Default Account Properties page, enter the logon name and password to the default PATROL account. Click Next.
- UNIX: The default account is mandatory, but a password is optional
- Windows: To install with no default account, delete the default login name from the PATROL Default Login Name field
- On the Select Level of Security page, select the appropriate security options. For detailed explanations of the security options, see the BMC PATROL Security User Guide. Click Next.
On the Provide Information for the PATROL Agent page, enter a port number and select to enable the PATROL Agent manually or automatically after installing the component package, and then click Next.
If you have already installed PATROL Agent on this server, you must continue using the same port number.
- On the BMC ProactiveNet Integration Configuration page, perform one or both of the following actions and then click Next. If you do not want to provide this information during installation, you can provide it after creating the package.
- Enter one or more comma-separated values for the IntegrationServices variable according to the format protocol:integrationServiceHostName:portNumber (for example, tcp:aust-pun-pat123:3183) .
The BMC ProactiveNet Integration Service enables data transfer between the PATROL Agent and BMC ProactiveNet.
- Enter one or more comma-separated Central Monitoring Administration tags, in the format tag:description (for example TagName:Windows Policy). Central Monitoring Administration tags enable a policy to be assigned to a PATROL Agent. For details, see Defining general policy details.
On the BMC ProactiveNet Performance Management Cell Configurations page, enable automatic registration of the PATROL Agent with BMC ProactiveNet during installation, as follows.
You can perform this registration after creating a installation package
You can accept the default values or perform the following actions:
- Enter a value for the BMC ProactiveNet encryption key that enables registration to BMC ProactiveNet.
- Enter a unique value for the BMC ProactiveNet primary cell variable.
- (Optional) Enter a unique value for the BMC ProactiveNet secondary cell variable.
- On the RTSERVERS Variable Properties page, perform one of the following actions and click Next.
- If you have an RTserver configured, enter one or more comma-separated values for the RTServer variable in the format protocol:hostName:port (for example, tcp:aust-pun-rts234:2059).
- If you do not have an RTserver configured, delete the entry in the RTSERVERS Variable field.
- (Windows only) On the Information for adding the Selected Component(s) to Firewall Exception List page, select to add the component to the Firewall exception list. Click Next.
- On the Installation Package Details page, verify that you have included the correct components and provide the following information:
Perform one or both of the following actions:
To download the installation package immediately, click Download.
To save the package for future installation on the current host or other hosts, click Save Installation Package.
- Click Close.
For more information about creating or editing a component package, see Creating and editing component installation packages in the BMC ProactiveNet 9.5 online documentation portal.
The installation wizards for the products that you selected are displayed, and they vary depending on the products or components that you selected to include in the package. To complete the installation wizards, follow the instructions for creating a component installation package in the installation documentation for the selected products available in the BMC ProactiveNet 9.5 online documentation portal.
Where to go from here
After installing the solution or KM, you can configure it using Central Monitoring Administration.