This section provides information about upgrading the standalone Collection Agent from an earlier version.
Supported upgrade paths
Standalone Collection Agents support direct upgrades from the latest two versions. Upgrade from earlier versions of the standalone Collection Agent (earlier than version 2.1) requires that you perform a phased upgrade until your reach version 2.1 (at a minimum) as shown in the following illustration.
Performing an upgrade of the standalone Collection Agent
Locate the following standalone Collection Agent installation package by navigating to the %BMC_ITDA_HOME%\utilities\ location.
- Copy the standalone Collection Agent installation package to the target host and unzip it.
- Navigate to the setup (for Windows) or setup.bin (for Linux) file and run the file to start the installation program. Click Next to proceed to the next step.
- Read the license agreement and agree to the terms. Click Next to proceed to the next step.
- (Optional) In the Name field, provide the name of the collection profile which you want to associate with this standalone Collection Agent for creating data collectors and click Add to add the collection profile details. You can add multiple collection profile names by providing the name and click Add. Click Next to proceed to the next step.
Note that if you want to associate a collection profile that is imported via a content pack, then you need to specify the name in the format, "<collectionProfileName> [<contentPackName>]." For example, to associate a collection profile "OracleCP" imported via the content pack "Database Pack", you need to specify, OracleCP [Database Pack].
After providing the collection profile details, you can choose to override the macro values existing in those collection profiles. To do this, in the Select Profile list, select the collection profile. Furthermore, in the Macro Name box, provide the name of the macro for which you want to override the value and in the Macro Value field, provide the new value. Click Add to add these details. You can continue to select additional collection profiles from the Select Profile and provide the macro name and value and click Add. Click Next to proceed to the next step.
- If you want to start the Collection Agent immediately after the upgrade completes, keep the check box selection for starting the standalone Collection Agent service unchanged. Click Next.
If you clear the check box selection, ensure that you manually start the standalone Collection Agent service later. For more information, see Starting or stopping product services.
- Click Install to start the upgrade.
- (Optional) Click View Log to see the installation log.
To exit the installation program, click Done.
By default, the following environment variable pointing to the standalone Collection Agent installation path is automatically set:
This information is applicable only if you performed the upgrade without root privileges on a Linux host.
If you restart the standalone Collection Agent any time after installation, the service associated with the standalone Collection Agent does not start automatically. To enable this, you need to perform the following steps:
- Open the command prompt and navigate to the directory, /etc/init.d.
- Run the following command:
ln -s $BMC_ITDA_AGENT_PATH/agent/services/bin/collection_agent collection_agent
Run the following command:
chkconfig --add collection_agent