This topic provides information about setting an SMTP connection for sending email notifications.
Transport Layer Security (TLS) protocol is used for sending emails to servers.
To set up an SMTP connection
- Navigate to Administration > External Configurations.
- Select SMTP Email Configuration from the list at the top-left of your screen.
- Provide the following details:
- External Configuration Name: Provide a name to identify this external configuration.
- Host Name/IP: Provide the host name or IP address of the SMTP server.
- Connection Security: Select one of the following options depending on the kind of protocol you want to use for sending data in an email from the IT Data Analytics server to the SMTP server. The port number changes based on the option selected in this field.
- No Encryption: No encryption protocol is used to communicate with the SMTP server. The email data is sent as plain text.
- SSL/TLS: Depending on the kind of protocol you are using, either SSL or TLS protocol is used to communicate with the SMTP server.
- STARTTLS: IT Data Analytics server checks if an SSL or TLS protocol is configured on the SMTP server. If SSL or TLS is found, then that protocol is used for sending email data in an encrypted way, otherwise the email data is sent in plain text (without encryption).
At the time of adding this external configuration, if any problems are found with the SMTP server certificate, a warning message is displayed. This message provides the certificate details. You can verify the details and continue to save the external configuration.
- Host Port: Provide the port number of the SMTP server.
- (Optional) Provide the following credentials, if your SMTP server is configured for authentication:
- User Name: User name for connecting with the SMTP server.
- Password: Password for connecting with the SMTP server.
- Sender Email: Provide the email address to use for sending emails.
- Click Save.