Set up applications in the TrueSight console so that you can monitor application health. You can create and monitor applications, or you can monitor applications that are automatically discovered from App Visibility.
An application consists of one or more software components that are distributed across different computer systems and which can be monitored.
Manually created applicationsWith BMC TrueSight Infrastructure Management, you can manually create applications in the TrueSight console by creating application models. Manual applications can include the following components:
- Groups and devices that are synchronized from Infrastructure Management
- Devices that are synchronized from App Visibility Manager
- Manually created groups
- Application discovered by manually setting up end-user monitoring
The status of a manual application is based on the event conditions that are specified with the application nodes.
For information about installation the Infrastructure Management environment, see
Automatic application discovery by App Visibility Manager
With BMC TrueSight App Visibility Manager, the name of an automatically discovered application is determined by the application URL. You can configure application discovery based on URL patterns, such as grouping URL patterns together or discarding patterns that are not relevant to your monitoring environment. You can then adjust event thresholds (SLAs) to determine the conditions when events are generated.
For information about installing the App Visibility Manager environment, see Installing App Visibility components.
Where to go from here
To set up applications, perform one or more of the following procedures:
- Manually create applications.
- Configure application discovery to fine-tune automatically discovered applications, and then configure event thresholds (SLAs).
- Set up synthetic transaction monitoring.
After you set up applications, you can start monitoring them.