This topic provides the results of BMC performance tests and best practices for tuning your environment for the best performance.
It includes the following sections:
Start up and user response time for the Presentation Server
The startup time for the Presentation Server is 6 to 7 minutes. This represents the period between the issue of a start command for the Presentation Server and the appearance of the Operations Management console login page in the browser.
The average response time for the Operations Management console is 20 seconds.
Variables that affect performance and scalability
The Presentation Server's performance depends on several variables. Substantial changes in any of the following variables can change the expected performance numbers:
- Total number of monitor instances. A monitored instance is the equivalent of the NT_CPU BMC PATROL application class.
- Total number of attributes. An attribute in BMC ProactiveNet corresponds to the CPU utilization parameter in BMC PATROL.
- Service model content, including the following considerations:
- Number of service models
- Number of configuration items (CIs) per service model
- Depth of a service model
- Types of monitored devices
- Number of key performance indicators (KPIs)
- Retention period of data and events
- Polling frequency
- Number of concurrent users
- Number of external events per day
- Number of alarms and abnormalities per day
- Disk I/O of the database server
- Network bandwidth utilization
- Hardware configuration, including the number of CPUs, amount of memory, and storage technology (such as SAN or RAID)
Performance testing and sizing information is based on controlled, internal testing of the Presentation Server to ensure optimum performance.
The platforms referenced in this section refer to platforms that BMC used in testing and do not reflect all of the supported platforms. For details about supported platforms, see Presentation Server system requirements.
Recommendations for performance optimization
To optimize the Presentation Server's performance, BMC also recommends the following:
- Ensure that the embedded PostgreSQL database is running on the same system as the core server components. This database is optimized for the Presentation Server.
- Before installing the Presentation Server, disable any antivirus system's on-demand scan option.
- Use parallel CPUs, which offer better user response time than a single CPU with a higher clock speed.
- Install the Presentation Server and App Visibility server on the same network.