You can download an installation package and install the components on one or more hosts. The installation runs silently with the information entered during package creation.
If you defined the Integration Service variable for PATROL Agents in the installation package, ensure the agents are started in phases. Do not start newly deployed agents all at once. Start and configure monitoring for the agents in planned phases to reduce the performance impact on the Integration Service nodes and on the Infrastructure Management Server associated with the automatic workflow process.
To download and install an installation package
- From the computer on which you want to install the package, access Central Monitoring Administration.
- (Optional) To filter the list of installation packages, select an operating system from the Filter by Operating System list.
- Click the link for the installation package that you want to download.
- Through the browser's download dialog box, save the installation package.
- Extract the installation package as appropriate for your operating system.
The package is extracted to the bmc_products directory on the current host.
- From the bmc_products directory, run the installation utility for your operating system:
- (UNIX or Linux) RunSilentInstall.sh
- (Microsoft Windows) RunSilentInstall.exe
The package is installed on the current host. If the package includes a BMC PATROL Agent, the agent sends a configuration request by passing its tags to Central Monitoring Administration, via the Integration Service. Central Monitoring Administration evaluates policies that match the agent conditions, determines the final configuration to be applied, and sends the configuration information back to the agent. Monitoring is based on the configuration information received by the agent.
If no policy matches the agent conditions, the agent does not receive configuration information. The agent does not begin monitoring until a matching policy is created.
BMC PATROL Agent compatibility
Ensure that BMC PATROL Agents are up to date. For version details, see System requirements and product compatibility.