When you create credentials for devices, databases, and so on, you can test them to ensure that BMC Helix Discovery is able to access these specific IP addresses and test the credentials. You can initiate credential testing in the BMC Helix Discovery Outpost from the Manage > Credentials page. The credential test results page displays all the credentials and access methods that are tried during the test, and also those that fail. BMC Helix Discovery continues the scanning process until either successful access is obtained or until BMC Helix Discovery runs out of methods to try. This section explains the various ways by which you can run these tests:
- —For devices, databases, and so on for one or more IP addresses. You run these tests to verify whether a subnet or a given range of IP addresses is accessible. You can also test an arbitrary IP address that has not been scanned before. You perform such tests to determine whether any of your existing device credentials allows you to access the given IP address.
Test by pre-executed test—For tests that are already executed. You can either repeat the test or delete it. However, you cannot cancel tests that are in progress.
Testing by devices
To run and view credential tests, perform the following steps:
From the BMC Helix Discovery Outpost main menu, select Manage > Credentials.
- Select the check box relevant to the type of credential you want to test. For example, to test device login credentials, select Devices.
The page is refreshed and it displays a list of available credentials.
- Identify the credential you want to test, click the Actions list for that credential, and select Test.
- In the Test Credential dialog box, enter the IP address or other required fields, and click Test.
The Tests tab display the success or failure of the test.
- In the Tests tab, you can perform any of the following actions:
- To delete an already completed test, click Delete from the Actions column.
- To retest an already completed or failed test, click Retry from the Actions column.
Testing by pre-executed tests
To run a pre-executed test, perform the following steps:
From the BMC Helix Discovery Outpost main menu, select Manage > Credentials and click the Tests tab.
From the result list, you can perform any of the following actions:
To re-run a test, click Retry for that test from the Actions column.
- To delete a pre-executed test, click Delete for that test from the Actions column.
- To run a credential test for an arbitrary IP address:
- Click Test IP Access.
In the Test Credentials window, enter the IP Address and Optional managed IP Address fields, and then click Test.