Standard license entitlements, restrictions, and units of measurement
Review the standard license entitlements, restrictions, and units of measure for the BMC Helix Discovery offering. Licensing terms and conditions in your contract take precedence over any published description from this site. License entitlements are subject to change.
The BMC Helix Discovery service is available with the purchase of the following line item from your ordering document:
|License||Unit of Measurement|
BMC Helix Discovery
|per asset - SaaS|
BMC Helix Discovery – Resource Unit
per resource unit - SaaS
BMC Helix Discovery (FedRAMP)
|per asset - SaaS|
BMC Helix Discovery – Resource Unit (FedRAMP)
per resource unit - SaaS
Please refer to Service locations for available datacenter locations.
With the "per asset - SaaS" unit of measurement, a subscription is required for the highest monthly average of Assets monitored, managed or discovered by the Subscription Services. “Assets” include Server Endpoints or Cloud Resources. A “Server Endpoint” is any virtual or physical Computer that provides a service for other Computers or users connected to it via the Internet, extranet, intranet, or other networked technologies. A “Cloud Resource” means an instance of a cloud infrastructure that provides a service for other Cloud Resources, Computers or Users connected to it.
With the "resource unit" unit of measurement, a subscription is required for the highest monthly average of Resource Units monitored, managed or discovered by the service. A Resource Unit (RU) is any type of physical data center asset or cloud computing service with the corresponding values determining the license capacity and subscription services consumed. The following details the list of supported RUs by asset type and their corresponding value: 1 RU = 5 containers; 1 RU = 5 client devices (e.g., laptop, mobile device, or other hardware device permitting access to the Subscription Service(s)); 1 RU = 5 network devices; 1 RU = 5 PaaS resources; 1 RU = 1 Server; 1 RU = 5 storage ports; 1 RU = 5 telecommunication devices; 1 RU = 10 IoT devices, 1 RU = 1 undocumented asset. For example, if the desired License Capacity consists of 100 servers, 50 containers and 50 network devices, the License Capacity would equate to 120 RUs.
For per asset subscriptions only
This license entitlement is only applicable to BMC Helix Discovery subscriptions with the "per asset - SaaS" unit of measurement.
A customer is entitled to discover up to the same number of network devices (not classified as an “Access Point”) as the Server Endpoint Asset count provided for by the license at no additional cost. For example, if customer discovers 1000 Server Endpoint Assets using BMC Helix Discovery, customer can discover up to 1000 network devices without incurring additional charge.
A customer is entitled to discover up to the same number of storage ports as the Server Endpoint Asset count provided for by the license at no additional cost. For example, if customer discovers 1000 Server Endpoint Assets using BMC Helix Discovery, the customer can discover up to 1000 storage ports without incurring additional charge.
BMC Helix Discovery also entitles customers to leverage Intelligent Integrations, a component that provides Discovery with the ability to ingest data from third-party solutions (e.g. Dynatrace and SolarWinds) as sources for asset discovery and topology information. The data captured from Intelligent Integrations enriches the information identified by BMC Helix Discovery and enables real-time updates to the discovery service model (Dynamic Service Modelling). Please note:
- BMC Helix Discovery licenses will be consumed for assets directly discovered by BMC Helix Discovery, and for unique assets discovered by Intelligent integrations.
- If a customer also owns BMC Helix AIOps, entitlements for Intelligent Integrations will include ingesting of the full range of data from third-party integrations including asset, topology, event metric & log data. In this scenario where a customer owns both BMC Helix Discovery and AIOps, the customer will not be charged for assets discovered via Intelligent Integrations.
- Only the unique assets discovered by BMC Helix Discovery or asset ingested through Intelligent Integration would be counted for license consumption. For example, if both BMC Discovery and Intelligent Integrations discovered the same host, the customer would only use 1 Discovery license.
- The use of Intelligent integrations with BMC Helix Discovery, without BMC Helix AIOps, is restricted to the import of asset and topology data only and does not include the ability to import event, metric and log data from third-party sources.
The following applications, features and utilities are available with the purchase of BMC Helix Discovery:
Additional license term
The following additional terms apply to the BMC Helix Discovery service:
- Licensing terms and conditions are as defined in the governing master agreement and take precedence over any published description from this site.
- Entitlements are subject to change.
- Non-production environments are configured with the same license capacity as the production environment.
- Purchased licenses are only valid on one production environment.
Your purchase of BMC Helix Discovery provides the following environments:
Additional environments are available for any BMC Helix service for an additional fee. See BMC Helix additional environment option.
If your IT Operations Management subscription services are accompanied by any IT Service Management subscription services, you will also receive a standard QA environment, in addition to Development and a Production environment.