Technology Knowledge Update TKU 2021-Jul-1
BMC Discovery Technology Knowledge Update 2021-Jul-1 is a deliverable for BMC Discovery 12.0, 20.08, and 21.05 series.
Product content updates require appliance restart
Important Note for Discovery 20.02 (12.0) Customers Only:
Mapping files for synchronization to ServiceNow CMDB
The mapping files for synchronization to ServiceNow CMDB released with the previous version of BMC Discovery no longer work with the updated sync for ServiceNow CMDB. New mapping files are available from EPD. However, to ensure correct operation, you must use the following procedure:
- Delete the sync for ServiceNow mappings
- Upload the new sync for ServiceNow mappings
Restart the cmdb_sync_transformer service. As the tideway user, enter:
tw_service_control --restart cmdb_sync_transformer
Please be aware that in TKU 2021-Jan-1 release the key attribute has been updated for the following node:
- Apache Kafka Cluster. Cluster key was changed, as it is now modeled as 'SoftwareCluster', instead of 'SoftwareInstance'. This is part of RFE DRDC1-13969 to discover Kafka Topics which we now support. See below or here the details.
For details of why the SI Key Change field is important, see Key and Command Updates.
TKU July release introduces the support of two new outstanding Network discovery features:
1.Network topology discovery. in this release we have added support for the Switch-to-Switch connectivity or Layer 2 topology discovery (via LLDP). For more details, see (DRDC1-14949) and here.
2.Stack Switches. We are adding support for HP and Aruba stack switches. For details, see (DRDC1-12228) and here.
Latest Releases Updates
- From TKU December we now report security information for hardware where it is published in the US Government National Vulnerability Database.
This is in addition to reporting NVD information for Software Instances, Operating Systems and Network Devices.
- We have introduced a new sync mapping pattern that maps Detail nodes with type "TLS Certificate" to the BMC_Document CIs. This mapping is enabled by default, and could add additional data to the CMDB. For more information, see CDM Mapping for Host.
TKU 2021-Jul-1 is released in the following streams:
- Release compatible with BMC Discovery 21.05 series.
- Release compatible with BMC Discovery 12.0 series.
- Release compatible with BMC Discovery 20.08 series.
Customers can access this TKU release from the BMC Electronic Product Distribution Website. If you are a customer or partner and do not already have a login please contact your BMC account manager.
Check out this guideline if you are unsure how to download from BMC EPD site.
The release comprises components packaged as such entities:
- BMC Discovery Technology Knowledge Update.
- Core - Patterns that model various software products.
- Extended Database discovery - Patterns that extend some of the core database patterns to obtain additional detailed information about certain databases.
- Middleware discovery - Patterns that obtain detailed information about certain J2EE Application Servers and Web servers.
- Network Device Integration Module with associated Network Device definition files, Printer definition files and SNMP managed devices definition files.
- System - Patterns that detect configuration issues and populate Discovery Conditions BMC Discovery 12.0.xx, BMC Discovery 20.08 and BMC Discovery 21.05 as well as patterns used by the CMDB sync system.
BMC Discovery Extended Data Pack TKU 2021-Jul-1, which is a separately licensable product.
- Hardware Reference Data - Patterns and data import CSV file that populate BMC Discovery with power and heat consumption figures for various hosts.
- National Vulnerability Database - A pattern that populates BMC Discovery with information about the CPE ID of each product, full details here.
- Product Lifecycle - Patterns that populate BMC Discovery with information about End-of-Life, End-of-Support, and End-of-Extended-Support for versions of certain host Operating Systems as well as versions of certain software products.
- BMC Discovery for Storage, which is a separately licensable product.
- Storage Systems: Patterns that model many Storage Systems. See the full list of currently supported storage devices here. Visit the Storage System Release Notes page to get details about what's new.
- Improvements on existing Storage patterns. See what we have fixed or improved in existing patterns in the Storage System Release Notes page.
Installation and Upgrade
|Performance Management Software|
|Storage and Device Management Software|
|Y||Y||NetApp Active IQ Unified Manager|
|IBM||Process Automation Middleware||Windows||Y||Y||IBM Robotic Process Automation|
|Broadcom||Event Management Tools||Windows, Unix||Y||Y||Broadcom Unified Infrastructure Management|
|Automation Anywhere||Process Automation Middleware||Windows||Y||Y||Automation Anywhere|
|Axway||Transfer CFT||Data Integration and Access Software|
|Y||Y||Axway Transfer CFT|
Enhanced Pattern Modules
For details of why the SI Key Change field is important please see this documentation.
|RFE ref.||Enhancement||Product Page||SI Key Change|
|Added new SI type for MongoDB Ops Manager.||MongoDB||N|
|Default Teradata JDBC driver was added to Discovery UI||Teradata Database - Database Detail Pattern||N|
|Improved Discovery proxy/outpost pattern logic.||BMC Discovery||N|
|Add support for SSLEnable in Apache Extended Discovery pattern||Apache HTTPD-based Webservers - Extended Discovery Pattern||N|
|DRDC1-16786||Improved Path Versioning for Software Instance: IBM Integration Bus.||IBM App Connect Enterprise||N|
|Improved Mysql version 8 command to find "Listening Ports".||Oracle MySQL Server||N|
|Enhanced MicrosoftLyncServer pattern module.||Microsoft Lync Server||N|
|Enhanced MongoDB pattern to not execute the 'listDatabases' command in the slave components.||MongoDB - Database Detail Pattern||N|
|Improved obtaining of a full Apache Tomcat version from Catalina logs when other methods fail.||Apache Tomcat||N|
|Improved scanning windows machines to avoid ECA errors.||Discovery Conditions Windows NIC||N|
|Improved logic for K8s/Openshift Clusters removal groups.||Kubernetes|
Red Hat OpenShift
|DRDC1-15197||Added cpu_limits and cpu_requests new attributes for Software Container node.||Kubernetes|
Red Hat OpenShift
|DRDC1-16977||Removed obsolete cluster relationships.||Kubernetes||N|
|Updated data_dir on Unix extraction.||Oracle MySQL Server||N|
|Provided support discovery for software instance "CFT - Cross File Transfer" with correct version details.||Axway Transfer CFT||N|
|Enhanced SI "Dynatrace OneAgent" version discovery.||Dynatrace AppMon||N|
|Improved Eclipse Jetty pattern to eliminate false positives.||Eclipse Jetty||N|
|Improved Tenable Nessus EOL dates display for Server and Agent.||Nessus||N|
|Improved patterns to create a single SoftwareCluster node for the same Oracle Data Guard Cluster.||Oracle Data Guard||N|
|Provided the new Zabbix agent process.||Zabbix||N|
|Updated Oracle Workflow to use PRIV_LS.||Oracle Workflow||N|
|Provided support for the discovery of Recovery Manager for Active Directory Forest Edition SI.||Quest Recovery Manager||N|
|Netscaler VPX - support for policies and actions when building Load Balancer model||Citrix NetScaler VPX Load Balancer||N|
|Enhanced linking the Network Device by IP address.||HP BladeSystem||N|
|Added product version for SI EMC PowerPath Administration Monitor.||EMC PowerPath||N|
|DRDC1-16254||Added new SI type for Ansible and Ansible Tower.||Red Hat OpenShift||N|
|Provided support for Payara Server.||Oracle GlassFish Server||N|
|Software AG find command and package count changes.||Software AG webMethods Integration Server||N|
|Provided discovery for Software Instance Oracle Service Oriented Architecture.||Oracle Business Activity Monitoring||N|
|PowerShell on Unix and PowerShell 7 improvements.||Microsoft Windows PowerShell||N|
|Improved discovery for OEM versioning.||Oracle Enterprise Manager||N|
|Added support for Teradata ActiveMQ.||Apache ActiveMQ||N|
|DRDC1-16657||Updated the Entuity Pattern.||Entuity||N|
|DRDC1-16891||Added support for hardware_version attribute for Virtual Machine node.||VMware Virtual Machine software||N|
|DRDC1-16611||Updated pattern/docs to reference IBM BigFix (from Endpoint Manager).||HCL BigFix||N|
|DRDC1-16787||Enhancement to add Package versioning for SI type:s Symantec VERITAS Enterprise Vault Authentication Service, Symantec VERITAS Enterprise Vault Administration Service, Symantec VERITAS Enterprise Vault Archive Service.||Veritas Enterprise Vault||N|
|DRDC1-15402||Pattern updates to discover physical container (Solaris) RAM for Host Container.||Oracle VM Server for SPARC||N|
|DRDC1-16530||Improved BMC TSNA-DW linkage to Smart Reporting Server.||BMC TrueSight Smart Reporting||N|
|DRDC1-16943||Enhanced path versioning for Apache Tomcat.||Apache Tomcat||N|
|DRDC1-17045||Added new command to obtain hostname.||Oracle Solaris Cluster||N|
|Provided IBM Automation Anywhere SI integration.||Automation Anywhere|
IBM Robotic Process Automation
Added IO allocation limit attribute to Disk Drive node (with enabled Host-Side Linking for Virtual Machines).
|Host Side Linking for ESX||N|
|Provided reporting of a time zone information for UNIX hosts.||Viewing a host||N|
Improved relationship from deep nested Subscriptions to parent Managementparent group & fix nesting_level attribute for deep nested Subscriptions.
|Microsoft Azure Subscriptions||N|
The following defects have been fixed in this BMC Discovery Technology Knowledge Update.
|Defect ref.||Details||Product Page||SI Key Change|
Problem: Link between VM and the Clusterware cluster may be overwritten by another pattern.
Problem: Apache Tomcat pattern does not always correctly find catalina_base and catalina_home.
Problem: Incorrect Processor Blade modules in HardwareDetail.
Problem: Apache_LB pattern causes large pq files.
|Apache Load Balancer||N|
|DRDC1-16974||Problem: For SI CrowdStrike Falcon Sensor, full version contains special characters -> 6.22.13607.0????|
Solution: Code fix.
|CrowdStrike Falcon Sensor||N|
|DRDC1-16837||Problem: Regex extraction in BMC.ProductRegistryFile.ProductRegistryFileLoad matches carriage return|
Solution: Code fix.
|BMC Decision Support for Server Automation|
BMC FootPrints Service Core
The Command/File Matrix file (covering ALL commands executed and ALL files retrieved by the patterns) for TKU July 2021 can be downloaded from.