Technology Knowledge Update TKU 2021-Apr-1
BMC Discovery Technology Knowledge Update 2021-Apr-1 is a deliverable for BMC Discovery 11.3, 12.0 and 20.08 series.
Important Note for Discovery 20.02 (12.0) Customers Only
Mapping files for synchronization to ServiceNow CMDB
The mapping files for synchronization to ServiceNow CMDB released with the previous version of BMC Discovery no longer work with the updated synchronization for ServiceNow CMDB. New mapping files are available from EPD. However, to ensure correct operation, you must use the following procedure:
- Delete the synchronization for ServiceNow mappings.
- Upload the new synchronization for ServiceNow mappings.
Restart the cmdb_sync_transformer service. As the tideway user, enter:
tw_service_control --restart cmdb_sync_transformer.
Upcoming End of Support date for version 11.3
TKU 2021- Apr-1 is the final release with support for Discovery 11.3 version.
For more information, see Supported versions of BMC Discovery.
Discovery of Oracle Pluggable Databases (PDBs)
In this release we have fixed issue with the Oracle pattern running subshell commands with sudo (DRDC1-16453). As a solution, the pattern has been updated to prevent running commands with sudo.
In this specific case, the Discovery user needs to be granted rights to execute the "lsnrctl status" commands, as the product itself (Oracle DB) disallows running that kind of commands as root.
For details, see Oracle Database.
Storage Device credential list
The new credential type "EMC ECS Web API" has been added to the Storage Device credential list (DRDC1-14311). This new credential type "EMC ECS Web API" must be configured to discover the Software Instance "EMC Elastic Cloud Storage Portal".
For more information, see EMC Elastic Cloud Storage Portal.
Latest Releases Updates
- From TKU March we synchronize the F5 Load Balancer certificates to the CMDB. For more information about it, please visit this page CDM Mapping for Host.
Global information about TLS Certificates discovery can be found in this new page Supported TLS Certificates.
- From TKU December we now report security information for hardware where it is published in the US Government National Vulnerability Database.
This is in addition to reporting NVD information for Software Instances, Operating Systems and Network Devices.
- We have introduced a new synchronization mapping pattern that maps Detail nodes with type "TLS Certificate" to the BMC_Document CIs. This mapping is enabled by default, and could add additional data to the CMDB. For more information, see CDM Mapping for Host.
TKU 2021-Apr-1 is released in the following streams:
- Release compatible with BMC Discovery 11.3 series.
- Release compatible with BMC Discovery 12.0 series.
- Release compatible with BMC Discovery 20.08 series.
Customers can access this TKU release from the BMC Electronic Product Distribution Website. If you are a customer or partner and do not already have a login please contact your BMC account manager.
Check out this guideline if you are unsure how to download from BMC EPD site.
The release comprises components packaged as such entities:
- BMC Discovery Technology Knowledge Update.
- Core - Patterns that model various software products.
- Extended Database discovery - Patterns that extend some of the core database patterns to obtain additional detailed information about certain databases.
- Middleware discovery - Patterns that obtain detailed information about certain J2EE Application Servers and Web servers.
- Network Device Integration Module with associated Network Device definition files, Printer definition files and SNMP managed devices definition files.
- System - Patterns that detect configuration issues and populate Discovery Conditions BMC Discovery 11.3.xx, BMC Discovery 12.0.xx and BMC Discovery 20.08 as well as patterns used by the CMDB sync system.
BMC Discovery Extended Data Pack TKU 2021-Apr-1, which is a separately licensable product.
- Hardware Reference Data - Patterns and data import CSV file that populate BMC Discovery with power and heat consumption figures for various hosts.
- National Vulnerability Database - A pattern that populates BMC Discovery with information about the CPE ID of each product, full details here.
- Product Lifecycle - Patterns that populate BMC Discovery with information about End-of-Life, End-of-Support, and End-of-Extended-Support for versions of certain host Operating Systems as well as versions of certain software products.
- BMC Discovery for Storage, which is a separately licensable product.
- Storage Systems: Patterns that model many Storage Systems. See the full list of currently supported storage devices here. Visit the Storage System Release Notes page to get details about what's new.
- Improvements on existing Storage patterns. See what we have fixed or improved in existing patterns in the Storage System Release Notes page.
Installation and Upgrade
Enhanced Pattern Modules
For details of why the SI Key Change field is important please see this documentation.
The following new products have been introduced in this BMC Discovery Technology Knowledge Update.
|BMC||TrueSight Smart Reporting for Network Automation||Change and Configuration Management Software||Windows||N||Y||BMC TrueSight Smart Reporting|
|Confluent||Confluent Platform||Clustering and Availability Software||Unix||Y||Y||Confluent Platform|
|Application Server Software Platforms|
|NetIQ||NetIQ Privileged Account Manager||Identity and Access Management||Windows, Unix||Y||Y||Micro Focus NetIQ Privileged Account Manager|
|Red Hat||Red Hat Data Grid||Data Integration and Access Software||Windows, Unix||Y||Y||Red Hat Data Grid|
|Performance Management Software|
|Y||Y||SolarWinds Orion Agent|
The following requests for enhancements have been fixed in this BMC Discovery Technology Knowledge Update.
SI Key Change
|DRDC1-14608 (DRDC1-16386, DRDC1-16219, DRDC1-15908, |
DRDC1-11518, DRDC1-12112, DRDC1-16140)
|Provided discovery of Oracle Pluggable Databases (PDBs).||Oracle Database||N|
|Improved parsing of README.txt for modern versions of JBoss.||Red Hat JBoss Application Server||N|
|Enhanced "Cisco AppDynamics Agent" Software Instance to copy SC version to parent Software Instance;|
Updated the package versioning.
Updated code to extract install_root;
Added false positive check for Zookeeper's process.
|Improved "Apache Cassandra" command running with install_root on UNIX.||Apache Cassandra||N|
|Enhanced "Red Hat JBoss" pattern to provide the support for domain.cached-remote.xml extraction.||Red Hat JBoss Application Server||N|
|Enhanced "EMC PowerPath Server" Software Instance to populate version information.||EMC PowerPath||N|
|DRDC1-13204||Improved modelling for BMC TrueSight Server Automation Suite.||BMC TrueSight Server Automation Suite||N|
|Added versioning method based on "bsu.sh" to use a PSU version as a product version.||Oracle WebLogic Server||N|
|DRDC1-13226||Enhanced "Elasticsearch" pattern to be supported on Windows Platform.||Elasticsearch||N|
|Enhanced REST API to handle HTTPS requests.||Citrix NetScaler VPX Load Balancer||N|
|Improved discovery of "Red Hat AMQ" Software Instance.||Red Hat AMQ||N|
|Improved version obtaining for "Apache Derby".||Apache Derby RDBMS||N|
|DRDC1-16688||Updated support details for "Suse Linux Entreprise".||OS Product Life Cycle Patterns - Extended Data Pack 2021-April-1||N|
|DRDC1-16523||Improved version display for BMC TrueSight products that have been patched.||BMC TrueSight Server Automation Suite||N|
|DRDC1-16513, DRDC1-16601, DRDC1-16626||Provided hardware EOL/EOS updates.||BMC Discovery Extended Data Pack 2021-April-1||N|
The following defects have been fixed in this BMC Discovery Technology Knowledge Update.
SI Key Change
Problem: Missing links in model created by "Oracle E Business" pattern.
Problem: Running subshell commands with sudo.
Problem: BMC FootPrints Asset Core automated tests cannot check for datetime objects in Discovery 12.0+.
Problem: Docker Image not linked to Docker Container
Problem: ECA Error in "Microsoft Cluster" pattern.
DRDC1-16634 & DRDC1-16667
Problem: Error in the pattern "Microsoft.SQLServer_Extended.OLEDatabase" while executing IndexError: list index rule.
Problem: Missing embedded command/file matrix comment in Oracle E-Business Suite.
Problem: "Apache Cassandra" does not correctly identify 'install_root'.
Problem: Race condition in the "SAPHANAXSEngine.tplpre" pattern.
Problem: Incorrect DB extended discovery.
Problem: ECA Error in "Microsoft SQL Server OLEDatabase" pattern when running on cloud based databases.
|Microsoft SQL Server - Database Detail Pattern||N|
|DRDC1-16382||Problem: UI Error when trying to view "Apache" Load Balancer Instance page.|
Solution: Provided multi instances support.
|Apache Load Balancer||N|
|DRDC1-16455||Problem: Unoptimized linked_oracle_instances function runs too many searches.|
Solution: Code fix.
The Command/File Matrix file (covering ALL commands executed and ALL files retrieved by the patterns) for TKU April 2021 can be downloaded from here.