Important information for users of BMC CMDB
To integrate BMC Discovery with BMC CMDB, there are some prerequisites, known issues, and limitations that you must be aware of.
Supported versions of BMC CMDB
At the time of its release, integration of the current version of BMC Discovery was supported with the following versions of BMC CMDB:
- 20.08 (SaaS)
- 19.02, 19.08
- 18.05, 18.08
- 9.1.03, 9.1.04 (Limited support)
- BMC Helix Remedyforce – Requires BMC Helix Remedyforce 20.19.02 or later.
For more information, check the BMC Solution and Product Availability and Compatibility utility (SPAC) (support login required).
BMC Discovery integration with the ServiceNow CMDB is supported for the following releases:
- New York
Support for cloud discovery
A new class, BMC_CloudInstance is added in BMC Core 9.1.03: Service Pack 3 to support cloud discovery. To synchronize cloud nodes to the CMDB, you must have this service pack installed. Service Pack 3 also provides a REST API which you can use as an alternative access mechanism to use to connect to the CMDB.
Do not change the CMDB synchronization configuration at the same time as changing the cluster configuration.
- Changing the CMDB sync configuration means, adding connections, removing connections, and starting or stopping a resync.
- Changing the cluster configuration means adding members, removing members, moving the coordinator, or changing fault tolerance.
Prerequisites for CMDB synchronization
Before you can synchronize data to a supported BMC CMDB version, you must complete the following required tasks in the given order:
BMC CMDB versions earlier than 7.6.04 are no longer supported and are not recommended for use. Synchronizing data to these earlier versions required you to complete some additional tasks. For more information, see the BMC Discovery 8.3 documentation.
- Create the BMC.ADDM dataset if necessary: Manually create the BMC.ADDM dataset in the CMDB before attempting synchronization.
- Create the Job to merge the BMC.ADDM dataset with BMC.ASSET: Create the job to reconcile the BMC.ADDM dataset with the BMC.ASSET dataset.
- Check the BMC.ADDM dataset configuration: When using ITSM 7.0 with a backward compatibility patch, you must ensure that the BMC.ADDM dataset is trusted.
After completing the preceding tasks, you can start synchronizing BMC Discovery data to BMC CMDB.
To obtain the maximum synchronization performance when using CMDB synchronization with BMC Discovery, you should consider tuning the database which BMC CMDB (or BMC Remedy AR System) is using. For more information, see the performance tuning documentation corresponding to your product version. The following information should be of particular interest: